January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Starbrite cut
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:00 pm 
Established Member

I have seen some pictures of commercial gems both round and square (cushion) shapes which say Starbrite cut. I have searched high and low for a faceting diagram but cannot find one.

Does anyone have faceting diagram for a Starbrite cut, or point me to a link for one?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Starbrite cut
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:18 pm 
Gold Member

I think that is a "Fantasy" cut (concave faceted) cut that has been Trademarked possibly by John Dryer as he seems to be the only one showing stones use this name. You might try contacting him to see if he will allow non commercial use. he is a nice guy.

https://www.johndyergems.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:55 pm 
Established Member

1bwana1 wrote:
I think that is a "Fantasy" cut (concave faceted) cut that has been Trademarked possibly by John Dryer as he seems to be the only one showing stones use this name. You might try contacting him to see if he will allow non commercial use. he is a nice guy.

https://www.johndyergems.com/index.html

Yes, that's where I saw it. I never noticed the TM at the end, either... so I guess it is trademarked.
Also, did not think they were concave faceted... so it is out of my league for now.

But, thanks a lot for the information!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 am 
Gold Member

The trademark means that you can't use the name, not that you can't cut one. It does look like a fantasy cut, though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:40 am 
Established Member

AlBalmer wrote:
The trademark means that you can't use the name, not that you can't cut one. It does look like a fantasy cut, though.

Cool... did not know that.

I really like how the Ametrine pieces show up with this cut. You can clearly see the line of demarcation between citrine and amethyst sections. I cut an ametrine in SRB and all one sees is an overall yellowish effect to the amethyst coloration. I can only see the line of demarcation when the stone is tilted at a particular angle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:29 am 
Gold Member

When cutting a stone to show bi-color the SRB, or any "brilliant" facet pattern is not a good choice. The Brilliant facet pattern blends colors as you have discovered. This is very useful when dealing with zoned colors in stones and makes them look even. It is best to use a step cut pattern for bi-color stones.

In Ametrine there are two basic zoning patterns one normally see in the rough. One has 4 approximately equal sized,pie shaped, zones coming together in the center of the stone. The other has a straight line division between the color zones, hopefully dividing the stone into two equal sized color zones. These two types should be handled differently. Which of these did you have in your stone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:38 pm 
Established Member

1bwana1 wrote:
When cutting a stone to show bi-color the SRB, or any "brilliant" facet pattern is not a good choice. The Brilliant facet pattern blends colors as you have discovered. This is very useful when dealing with zoned colors in stones and makes them look even. It is best to use a step cut pattern for bi-color stones.

In Ametrine there are two basic zoning patterns one normally see in the rough. One has 4 approximately equal sized,pie shaped, zones coming together in the center of the stone. The other has a straight line division between the color zones, hopefully dividing the stone into two equal sized color zones. These two types should be handled differently. Which of these did you have in your stone.

The Ametrine piece I cut has a straight line division between the color zones.
When viewed at a particular angle you can see the two zones as seen below:

I tried to get a good picture of the coloration from the top but finding it very tough... Here is the best I could do:

Kinda hard to tell that it is a bi-color ametrine piece at a casual glance, though it has a lot of brilliance.
What are some of the best cuts to use for bi-color stones like these?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:00 pm 
Gold Member

Emerald cuts, ovals, and rectangular cuts in cushion, radiants will show the bi colors the best. RBC is probably one of the worst as you have discovered.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:37 pm 
Established Member

Thanks 1bwana1, I have a few similar ametrine pieces. Will try some of the cuts you mentioned.