Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Good Books for Jewelery Making Overview
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

To all,

I know they're probably spread somewhere within the forum. However, for someone that just wants to learn the modern methods of design, settings, tools, Etc. Are there any one or two books you'd recommend to start with.

Now, full disclosure, I probably am not going to jump in and buy tons of tools, casting furnaces, Etc. However, I watch tons of the youtube jewelry making channels and I'd love to know more about the concepts and how it all comes to together (heck, I don't even know how to make a necklace that lays flat).

I love to learn, I love to know versus guess and any help with some good books that would help a beginner learn and maybe make some small entries into this art would be appreciated

My thanks,

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

Post subject: Re: Good Books for Jewelery Making Overview
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:41 pm 
Established Member

Hello Bob,

I am the metals studio manager at the Cary Arts Center. I invite you to stop by the studio on Thursday night between 5 and 9:30 or Saturday mornings between 9 and 12:30. We offer various classes in basic jewelry making and also introductory lapidary (cabbing) classes. We have a fairly good assortment of equipment and hand tools to fabricate most any design. We do not offer casting however. I am an old Caryite and have been playing with faceting and jewelry making for as long as I can remember. I would be happy to talk shop anytime.

Best regards,

DT

David Tomlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:57 pm 
Gold Member

Bob,

In today's World, and especially with your background, I would suggest you learn CAD jewelry design. This way the only thing you have to buy is a computer program. That means you can study and learn while on the road in Canada. The process of casting, finishing and setting stones into your designs has become a commodity, and it can be done better and less expensive outsourced than doing it yourself. The creative side is all in the design.

There is a program out there that offers a two year student license for Matrix Jewelry CAD (my favorite) for around $250 per year when you are enrolled in an online learning program. The standard license is around 7K. This will let you learn for very little money.

Let me know if you are interested, and I will get you the details.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

What do you all think of the free downloads like Food4Rhino?
https://www.food4rhino.com/app/peacock

or $99/year
http://jewelrycadtraining.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:57 pm 
Gold Member

I don't have any experience with these training companies.

I have taken the courses offered by https://www.thejewelrycadinstitute.com/

This is Russ Hyder's school, he was the CAD instructor at GIA Carlsbad Campus. He is an excellent teacher. He is able to register his students with Matrix so that they get a $295 copy of the latest and greatest Matrix version while learning. As far as I know very few (Russ and GIA but maybe more that i haven't found) that can offer this student discount for Matrix. The training, and the software are both superb in my experience.

I find with CAD I can easily make sophisticated jewelry that few people would ever develop the skills to make during a lifetime at the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:11 pm 
Valued Contributor

To all,

Thank you so much for all the great information. Sorry for the delay I've been in and out play and work for a few weeks. As far as CAD, that's *definitely* something I want to learn/use whenever possible. I just love the idea of doing a 3D design, printing and polishing a prototype and then having it cast and returned (similar to what I do with circuit boards now, the big shops can take a gerber file and turn around a 6 layer board in days. Something what was impossible years ago).

I may drop by the Cary class just to take a peek, besides the geek factor of CAD design, I'd love to learn how to set a stone, clip the prongs and polish it).

Thank you all so much for the pointers and help, with all you do to help this is my first place to go to learn everything I can re: gems, cutting and now jewelry

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:11 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Having your 3D printer turn out a wax model, sending it to be cast and then getting the setter to put your stones in is all very well, if you are just in it as a business, but there is nothing to compare with hitting a hard lump of metal with a hammer and turning it into something beautiful. My advice, start primitive and work up, the book by Rose and Chirino is a good place to begin.