January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Facebook
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:15 pm 
Platinum Member

Facebook is a fast transient information source. There is no "history" to search on the groups or postings, information is ephemeral. I have realized this and am coming back to G.O. as posts stick around and this is a much better format and info source than the Zuck's machine. I encourage all of you who spend time on FB to post a comment about coming to gemologyonline.com This is a much better resource and archive than anything on FB.

Post subject: Re: Facebook
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:40 am 

I agree. I very frequently pull up old threads to pick at obscure bits of knowledge and experience in the archives. Facebook has immediacy but imo can't produce as good an environment or community.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:14 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Amen.So many of the pages there are flooded with nondescript rocks and questions are these rubies tourmaline or diamonds...im not a gemologist but what ive learned here makes me feel like a phd talking to five year old kids that will forever be five. Just last night I was removed from one of the pages for arguing about the mohs hardness of an ugly rock someone posted...they stated it was a 9 on the mohs scale...and the evidence was that it wasn't scratched by hematite lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Equally important, in my mind, it that GO does not sell information, nor are we searching for advertising dollars.

The intent is the same as when we started, "A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas" :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

This forum really is a wonderful place. Whenever Im google'n info on gems, Im always happy when I see a search result from GO, cos then I know it will most likely have the best info.

Ive learnt a tremendous amount of information from old threads.

A big thank you to the owners, mods and contributors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Honestly, the fact that social media sites rarely have a focused topic and desire to have millions of active members makes any moderation almost impossible.
Facebook and Twitter's so called "algorithms" almost always favour who gets the least user flags in a dispute, and are useless for policing visual content, thus forcing the sites to rely on thousands of workers to review graphic content every day for pitiful wages. Having to see that stuff day in, day out doesn't sound great for your mental health.

Would you want a mentally worn-down moderator, with no knowledge on the topic, who only has maybe a minute to make a decision policing your posts? The mods here do an excellent job, and it's made easier in no small part by the lower activity level in this community, and the desire to recruit staff from it.

The other thing is these sites often have the bare minimum for allowing you to search for information, from what I understand Facebook doesn't allow you to exclude keywords from results. With this forum's software you can do that in addition to everything facebook's search can. The only social media site I've used that comes close is Twitter. Now compare this to something like Tumblr's search function.
Non-text content searching is a whole other can of worms, and the only reliable way I've seen requires the viewer being able to assign tags to the images, music, etc. that they find. Using this system apparently has a high server load...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:54 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I have to admit that I'm guilty of spending more time on the fb gemology and related groups than here at GO. But I agree with what everyone else has said - this community is one of the nicest out there, and the body of shared knowledge is an amazing resource.

I make it a point of coming back here regularly, even though I don't post as often. I hope others will do the same and keep GO the great source of knowledge it is.

And kudos to Barbra for creating and maintaining this community :)

-Allan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:28 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

I am on FB because I have a commercial page there, but link to GO very often for the content reasons we all know about. Another issue with that place is you are flooded with obnoxious rough dealers, in addition to knowing every keystroke is sold. The exposure is good, but it's kind of a bad neighborhood, and on FB, "exposure" usually means an X-Rated selfie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:22 pm 
Gold Member

jleb has it exactly right. What you see on Facebook is whatever their algorithms decide to show you. One particularly ridiculous page is "Faceting Diagrams & Gemstone Designs" where people post files of designs in various formats with no way to do an intelligent search on them.
Probably I should post a request that original deigns be submitted to the USFG website for inclusion in their library. I haven't yet done that because I would be the one to check them out, derive the proper images and downloadable files, and add them to the library. Maybe when I finish moving into my new house.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:47 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

FB monetizes your information and that was part of Zuckerberg's business plan. You can decline friend offers or block those you deem as persistently obnoxious. To use a comparative metaphor, GO is like living in a village, while FB is like living in a metropolis with CCTV cameras mounted on street light poles. I think both have particular advantages.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:49 pm 
Gold Member

Quote:
You can ... block those you deem as persistently obnoxious

Unless you're the President.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:20 pm 

I think one of the worst things is watching people post insanely stupid guesses on requests for rock or gem ID. It's true you typically can't firmly ID something from a photo, but that doesn't mean any 'ol guess is OK.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:45 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Yes, and it's in all the topics ion all the fields. People seem to post just to have something to say. and much of it is nonsense. Asking for a gem ID from a picture is a lot like asking how a picture or roses smells. I have never seen a site with so much bad information.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:03 am 
Valued Contributor

Facebook *does* have pictures of gemstones. A whole lot of them. Pictures large enough to make out details. Here we must format photos down to such a small size/low resolution that one can't really make out much. Other than that, Jon is right Facebook is a trashy neighborhood with a lot of time wasters/scammers/angry people about. If you are wanting to use it for archiving, post everything to your own page in a folder first so you can find it later. I literally cannot figure out how to make my pictures small enough to post here, so I stopped.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:54 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

AlBalmer wrote:
Quote:
You can ... block those you deem as persistently obnoxious

Unless you're the President.

And a psychopath/Kremlin asset.