January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help identifying stones in 24 necklaces that I aquired?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:39 pm 
Established Member

Hello

I recently purchased a collection of 24 custom made necklaces made from semi-precious stones (tiger eye, jade, lapis, etc). They are absolutely stunning, and my intent is to resell them, however I have no experience in this area.

I am looking for someone who can look through the photographs of these 24 necklaces and tell me what the various stones are in each necklace, so that I can represent them accurately when reselling.

I would be glad to pay for this service if necessary. Is this something anyone here can assist me with, or, do you know anyone who can?

I have 10 professional quality photos of each of the 24 necklaces.

Also would love any insight on the relative worth of the necklaces, as I don’t want to underprice them.

Post subject: Re: Help identifying stones in 24 necklaces that I aquired?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:58 pm 
Established Member

Or, should I just post them here, each in their own post?

Post subject: Help identifying cream colored stones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:30 pm 
Established Member

I have acquired a number of necklaces of beautiful stones and am seeking help identifying them. I will post those that I am having trouble identifying.

I presume this rose is not real ivory (??) but am also wondering what these cream colored stones might be?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
DSCF1223.jpg
DSCF1223.jpg [ 4.02 MiB | Viewed 1426 times ]
DSCF1218.jpg
DSCF1218.jpg [ 4.31 MiB | Viewed 1426 times ]
DSCF1215.jpg
DSCF1215.jpg [ 3.76 MiB | Viewed 1426 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

No, these beads are not ivory.
You couldn't sell them if they were.
Elephant ivory is protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and other U.S. laws including the Endangered Species Act (ESA).

Beads look to be some sort of sedimentary rock with the pendant being an afterthought.
Drop a bead of muratic acid on one of them and see if it fizzes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:48 pm 

coolshop wrote:
Hello
I am looking for someone who can look through the photographs of these 24 necklaces and tell me what the various stones are in each necklace, so that I can represent them accurately when reselling.

This can't be done from a photo. The reason that gemology exists as a discipline is that identifying gems isn't trivial. Some are happy to offer speculative opinions, but nobody serious is going to risk their reputation by giving you an identity on something meant for resale based on just a photo.
coolshop wrote:
Also would love any insight on the relative worth of the necklaces, as I don’t want to underprice them.

And they especially won't give you a valuation based on just a photo.
If you don't know what's in the pendants you need to say that when you sell them. If you want to know what's in them you need to collect some actual data about the stones--refractive index, polariscope data etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:11 pm 
Established Member

Hello

Thank you both for the candid responses. I can definitely appreciate the fact that people with no knowledge probably wander into this forum of professionals frequently asking annoying questions of this type.

My dilemma is simply that I came into possession of 24 stunning necklaces of what I believe to be semi-precious stones and I know that I need expert advice on them, or at least I feel like I should get an expert opinion or assessment of them or I'd never forgive myself if I sold them haphazardly.

They can all be seen here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

My problem is I can't seem to find anyone who has the expertise and willingness to explain to me even what would be involved in assessing and identifying them, and/or if it's even worth it.

Any advice on if I should seek someone out based on what you see, and who that might be would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:04 pm 

From looking at these it looks like many feature an assortment of agates (some dyed, the black and white banded ones always are) and jaspers. I can't be sure but this type of opaque stone is easier to diagnose from a photo.
The value from the stones isn't going to be very high. I'm not sure what pricing overall would be like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Stephen is correct. Positive ID can usually not be determined with photos.
May I suggest you contact your closest Gem & Mineral Society and see if you can bring your pieces by and get some help with positive identification.
The first several shots appear to be tigereye. The metal work appears to be base metal.

Tell us about the person you inherited these from. Did they ever speak of the place(s) where they were acquired?
Let us know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:45 pm 
Established Member

Thank you. I will try and find a local Gem & Mineral Society. I agree an in person review would make more sense.

I purchased these on Facebook marketplace and paid less than $2 for necklace! It was from the sister of the original owner. Not sure if the owner was deceased or... but, I was told that the owner went to a local antique shop where the wife of the owner designed and made these necklaces for her based on the designs that she wanted.

As I have begun researching them, I believe many of them are designed after different tribal necklaces from different countries. The one with the very large heart shaped pendant is called an Asyk and is a tribal necklace from "turkmen". I believe the tiger eye first one is also modeled after something called a Bedoiun triangle pendant. I am still researching.

Do you think the very last necklace (green/orange) could be jade?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

coolshop wrote:
Do you think the very last necklace (green/orange) could be jade?

Nope, I don't.

At this point, their value is $2 per strand.
Additional information should increase value.
How would you go about selling them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:06 pm 
Established Member

Lol ok, true.

I do think they have some intrinsic value based on their design and style as well :)

I would be listing these on ebay and poshmark.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:04 am 
Established Member

I guess what I am trying to narrow down is if any stones are particularly valuable, to the extent that it would make the necklace worth a lot more than its worth based solely in its aesthetic or design value.

If it doesn't appear on the surface that that is the case, having someone look at them in person may not be worth the effort and cost that may be incurred, and may be a waste of time and a lot of unnecessary effort.

I guess the main benefit would be being able to state definitively when selling what the specific stones are.

I suppose I could remain more vague and say 'possibly X stone'.

Would it be accurate to state that these are all or for the most part "semi-precious" stones?

Again, I've appreciated your insight!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:33 am 
Gold Member

The beads I see in the two pictures posted in this thread look like some sord of Calcium Carbonate based stone. Very similar to Travertine. These would be common in the Mediterranean MidEast areas.

If I look in the bottom right hand corner of the rose, i see the "engine turning" pattern that one expects to see in natural ivory.

Certianlly costing more than $2 to produce today. Resale however is a different market and they are only worth what someone will pay.

I only see the three cream colored necklaces in this post, not any of the others.

As others have said, picturs are no substitute for live examination, so the info i have posted is not definative.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:55 am 
Established Member

1bwana1 wrote:
The beads I see in the two pictures posted in this thread look like some sord of Calcium Carbonate based stone. Very similar to Travertine. These would be common in the Mediterranean MidEast areas.

If I look in the bottom right hand corner of the rose, i see the "engine turning" pattern that one expects to see in natural ivory.

Certianlly costing more than $2 to produce today. Resale however is a different market and they are only worth what someone will pay.

I only see the three cream colored necklaces in this post, not any of the others.

As others have said, picturs are no substitute for live examination, so the info i have posted is not definative.

Thanks for your response! What is "natural ivory"? Is this the type of ivory that is illegal?

The whole collection of necklaces can be seen here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with 1bwana1. On closer inspection the carved flower does appear to be ivory.
No, you shouldn't sell it.
Not only because there are international restrictions on ivory sales but because it is (IMO) rather reprehensible to deal in dead animal parts.

Semi-precious is a term which is not often used anymore.

Try testing the waters.
The first strand on your list is tigereye. Research what tigereye strands are selling for on the sites you wish to feature them. Draft a description which sets YOUR beads apart from the others.

Vintage mid-century, custom designed strand, incorporating unique bronze timeless accents, perfectly enhancing the warm golden sheen of the round and carved beads, blah blah blah