Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: better combo to cut and polish quartz
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:20 pm 
Established Member

Hi,

I'm looking to improve my set of discs and need your opinion on which combo will works better

I usualy cut Amethys and citrine, i live in uruguay and here there are not any lapidary provider so i will shop from internet but can only make 2 purchases with a cup of $200 included shipping.

Now i preform in 600 and cut the facets in 1200 then polish whit phenolic lap with Cerium oxide, but the problems are that toppers get wasted and finer and somethimes scratches appears. im looking another polishing lap but doesnt know wich lap will works better to me.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: better combo to cut and polish quartz
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm 
Gold Member

Are you stating that the 600 and 1200 you have are toppers? Looking to replace with a better grade of the same 600 and 1200 but not toppers for 200$ or less, shipped internationally is a cost as well to consider.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:20 pm 
Established Member

glhays wrote:
Are you stating that the 600 and 1200 you have are toppers? Looking to replace with a better grade of the same 600 and 1200 but not toppers for 200$ or less, shipped internationally is a cost as well to consider.

Yes, are cheat ebay toppers that works decently. i ve read that are nice top laps like chrystalite standars or similar, but doesnt know the main difference with steel or sintered so i dont know wich lap will works for me

Please administrator move post to Lapidary Corner Colored stones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:24 pm 
Gold Member

Your $200 budget is not going to get you two Crystalite laps of either the "TheStandard" or the "Solid Steel", will get you one and then your freight costs added will more than likely put you over your budget. Also any import duties you may incur.

There are numerous posts here on the subject of topper laps and what people use for quartz cutting. Run a search on "topper laps", "cutting quartz" and you will find a lot of valuable information.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 pm 
Established Member

glhays wrote:
Your $200 budget is not going to get you two Crystalite laps of either the "TheStandard" or the "Solid Steel", will get you one and then your freight costs added will more than likely put you over your budget. Also any import duties you may incur.

There are numerous posts here on the subject of topper laps and what people use for quartz cutting. Run a search on "topper laps", "cutting quartz" and you will find a lot of valuable information.

I was thinking in maybe get one good fine lap to get the facets in place and ready to polish, not sure in the brand or grain.

I looked for information but I am not clear about what type of disc is better for quartz, if a tin lap or maybe a darkside of gearloose.

maybe a good 1200 and then a dakside would be a good combination?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:00 pm 
Gold Member

I would suggest a good 600 lap, Batt lap with 3k or 8k diamond, then your polish lap Darkside, Matrix, or the new Creamway, I find works good with Quartz. The Matrix would allow you to polish harder gems as well. The batt lap will replace the 1200 to start and later add a good 1200 lap as you gain experience and begin cutting more expensive gem rough. But in my opinion buying a good 1200 lap to cut a lot of quartz is going to wear it down quite quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:00 pm 
Established Member

glhays wrote:
I would suggest a good 600 lap, Batt lap with 3k or 8k diamond, then your polish lap Darkside, Matrix, or the new Creamway, I find works good with Quartz. The Matrix would allow you to polish harder gems as well. The batt lap will replace the 1200 to start and later add a good 1200 lap as you gain experience and begin cutting more expensive gem rough. But in my opinion buying a good 1200 lap to cut a lot of quartz is going to wear it down quite quickly.

Thanks a lot for your recommend!

what brand do you recommend for 600 lap?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 pm 
Gold Member

Crystallite "The Standard" would be my first choice, but there pricey. You can check out Kingsley North as well they sell decent quality laps of all kinds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 am 

Moved to the lapidary corner as requested.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 am 
Valued Contributor

I do cut with toppers as well. After the 1200 I go to a Zinc Plus lap from Gearloose and then to a Matrix with oxcides. https://gearloose.co/shop/highest-perfo ... arter-kit/. That almost fits into your budget.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:37 pm 
Gold Member

capcuadrate wrote:
I do cut with toppers as well. After the 1200 I go to a Zinc Plus lap from Gearloose and then to a Matrix with oxcides. https://gearloose.co/shop/highest-perfo ... arter-kit/. That almost fits into your budget.

Your zinc plus is used with diamond? I use a Zinc plus as well and is a very fine lap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:01 pm 

For quartz, I cut with a plated 600, then a copper lap with 3000 diamond, then with a tin lap with aluminum oxide (cerium would probably work better, I just don't have any). It's working really well for me on quartz. The copper lap will last forever, and the tin lap a very long time. I also have a 1200 copper lap if I have some difficult scratches left by the 600. I love my copper laps. They make some that are laminated (1mm copper on aluminum) that are very affordable. Do a search on Goggle. The solid copper laps aren't cheap, either, but they will last your lifetime.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:49 am 
Valued Contributor

glhays wrote:
capcuadrate wrote:

Your zinc plus is used with diamond? I use a Zinc plus as well and is a very fine lap.

I use it with 8000 Diastick and I am happy with that. I use it with WD 40 and use an old ballbearing to rub it in.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:22 pm 
Established Member

Debbie K wrote:
For quartz, I cut with a plated 600, then a copper lap with 3000 diamond, then with a tin lap with aluminum oxide (cerium would probably work better, I just don't have any). It's working really well for me on quartz. The copper lap will last forever, and the tin lap a very long time. I also have a 1200 copper lap if I have some difficult scratches left by the 600. I love my copper laps. They make some that are laminated (1mm copper on aluminum) that are very affordable. Do a search on Goggle. The solid copper laps aren't cheap, either, but they will last your lifetime.

I have made one copper lap by myself but have not used it enough yet, i will put into practice! have some diamond paste.

Definitly will get one tin lap!

Thanks all for the aswers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:54 pm 
Established Member

I got a Zirconium Oxide Battstik (same compound the creamway is made with) from Gearloose a while back and was very impressed with how quickly it polished Quartz. This is what I used when teaching my 10 year old daughter to facet her first Amethyst and even on her first attempt, she had great results and didn't get bored!

If it were me, and I wanted better results with as little money spent as possible... I'd follow some of the other advice given here to get the cutting/prepolish under control better, then throw in an inexpensive Zirconium Oxide Battstik to use on your existing polish lap. You might be surprised how much improvement you may see without even changing polishing laps.