January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Value of synthetics
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:30 pm 
Established Member

I was just wondering if there were any resources that give the value per carat of synthetic gems. I have a membership to IGS, but their price guide is only geared towards natural stones and I haven't been able to find a similar database for synthetic stone valuation.

I see that someone asked this same question a few years ago, but the link provided in the answer (http://www.morioncompany.com) appears to be defunct. I currently have quite a bit of synthetic material and no idea of how much it'll be worth when cut, or if it's even worth acquiring and faceting. Any advice on this front would be appreciated, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Value of synthetics
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:41 pm 
Gold Member

There is a huge value difference in synthetics depending on which method was used to grow the material. You need to be more specific about what you are working with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

1bwana1 wrote:
There is a huge value difference in synthetics depending on which method was used to grow the material. You need to be more specific about what you are working with.

Exactly!
This article is a little outdated as it indicates that synthetic diamonds are rarely encountered. Not true now. They are everywhere.

https://www.gia.edu/gem-synthetic
Narrow down what you want to research prices on and start searching online for sources.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:22 am 
Gold Member

Agreed, you have to be a little more specific on types of synthetics. If it is or is not worth your time, depends on what your market is going to be. This discussion has been reasonably argued on, in many of threads here, with a vast difference of selling prices. Some believe that 150-200$ a carat is being had on specific types of corundum, precision cutting and designer jewelers being the clients. For my business in general synthetics only get 40-60$ per carat on corundums, yag, nano, and many others. Not a go getter for us, so it is just there if someone wants it. There is a lot of other expensive synthetics, I not going to try and list by trade names as that is going start the what is a synthetic and what is a simulant debate. [-X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:58 pm 
Established Member

What I have is synthetic blue spinel, alexandrite, helenite, and cubic zirconia.

I've been considering getting synthetic ruby, sapphire, and emerald, but I can't seem to find any concrete information on pricing. I know that hydrothermal is a lot more valuable than flame-fusion, but that's about all I've been able to find out.

I saw one source that said that most flame-fusion synthetics are worth $5/ct at most after being faceted, firmly planting them in the "waste of time" category if there's any desire to sell them, while other sources have said that they can be worth up to $60/ct. Nothing I've found goes into more detail on anything like color.

Hydrothermal has been even harder to lock down any solid info on. Most sources just say that it's roughly an order of magnitude more valuable than flame-fusion, so 10×. The issue being that, without knowing what flame-fusion is truly worth, I can't really know what an order of magnitude higher would be. That could put a maximum theoretical value for hydrothermal in the range of hundreds of dollars per carat, which seems... unlikely for any synthetic.

I know that, if the intent is to sell, it's best to just go with natural stones. The problem is that saying money is tight right now would be a massive understatement. I can't really afford quality natural rough. I'd like to build up to that point, but in order to do so, I need some idea of what will be worth the time and effort it takes to cut.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:29 pm 
Gold Member

CoreyB wrote:
What I have is synthetic blue spinel, alexandrite, helenite, and cubic zirconia.

I've been considering getting synthetic ruby, sapphire, and emerald, but I can't seem to find any concrete information on pricing. I know that hydrothermal is a lot more valuable than flame-fusion, but that's about all I've been able to find out.

I saw one source that said that most flame-fusion synthetics are worth $5/ct at most after being faceted, firmly planting them in the "waste of time" category if there's any desire to sell them, while other sources have said that they can be worth up to $60/ct. Nothing I've found goes into more detail on anything like color.

Hydrothermal has been even harder to lock down any solid info on. Most sources just say that it's roughly an order of magnitude more valuable than flame-fusion, so 10×. The issue being that, without knowing what flame-fusion is truly worth, I can't really know what an order of magnitude higher would be. That could put a maximum theoretical value for hydrothermal in the range of hundreds of dollars per carat, which seems... unlikely for any synthetic.

I know that, if the intent is to sell, it's best to just go with natural stones. The problem is that saying money is tight right now would be a massive understatement. I can't really afford quality natural rough. I'd like to build up to that point, but in order to do so, I need some idea of what will be worth the time and effort it takes to cut.

Sorry but that is the synthetic market from rough to market.
Saying you have synthetic spinel, alexandrite, CZ isn't really answering the question. [-X For one think I do not believe cz is a synthetic, and alexandrite is it alexandrite colored syn. corundum? CZ will never yield you anything unless your doing fancy cuts. Also Spinel verses Corundum in their respective properties result in two different cut gems when it comes to their appearance and beauty. You're not going to find pricing on material that isn't easily obtained like Chatham and many other proprietary made materials. Much of the synthetic materials available today are predominantly be sold to the hobby cutters, where resale isn't the goal. Fancy cutting in synthetic materials may get you a decent return, but remember your selling your gems more as art than a just a cut everyday gemstone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:06 pm 
Gold Member

Basically what Barbra said - Last I remember seeing cz was something like 7 cents a carat, and synthetic sapphire was around $40/pound. That is pound as in 454grams or 2270 carats.
In large quantities it is even cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

If I may add another point; if one wishes to hone their cutting skills with stones having different properties, sure get synthetics. Practice makes perfect.

If one wishes to sell gemstones, get natural material. Furthermore, as Gene owner of Precision Gem once pointed out, get top grade rough and cut top grade gems.

Just as an example, if you buy a hunk of blue topaz for $10 and quadruple your money you just made $30 bucks. Hard to find a pizza in this town for 30 bucks.

If you buy an exceptional and expensive rough sapphire for $1000 and make 30-50% on it when cut, you just scored $300-$500.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:26 pm 
Gold Member

But it is not always the case, things can happen, and a client can fall in love with the color of a deep dark blue topaz cut in a nice design and you can get a healthy return. Several years ago in Thailand I purchased from the folks at RusGems some Swiss, and London blue topaz for $7.5 p/gm. in a fairly large quantity, as well as some Nanosital, Large boules of synthetic colorless corundum. We have sold most all of the London and Swiss either as rough or cut gems, and just recently a 12+ct. Pear Shaped London Blue for a custom designed ring for over $145 p/ct.
If you have access to decent high grade rough at a decent price, that is the way to ultimately make your best return overall, But that is a big if for most.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Blue topaz is my least favorite gem. I always use it as my "go to" YUCK reference. Sorry. I hate the stuff.
But everything else you said is absolutely correct.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:48 am 
Gold Member

Your not alone, I am personally not a big fan myself. Was just saying, strange things can happen. Personally I can appreciate a deep purple cranberry undertone Siberian amethyst to any topaz, but even that is a hard getter on the profit making side.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:40 am 
Gold Member

While I like that kind of amethyst, a nice purple or red Topaz really does it for me, and I really like the nicely cut Imperials that have the tips showing some red

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed. Any color of topaz with the exception of blue and mystic is terrific in my book.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:37 pm 

Natural blue topazes can be pretty nice. There's some good production out of Nigeria that isn't very expensive and can be surprisingly saturated, at least in larger sizes. Nothing like swiss etc but nice sky blues. When you get a parcel with yellows, greens, blues and peaches it looks a lot like mixed beryls.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:03 pm 
Gold Member

Ohhhh Barbra... come on now, Mystic too. What about a nice over saturated colorless topaz treated and given the name Mystic Topaz. Such lure and mystery of how it formed so naturally in mother earth. 2-14x10mm ovals perfectly matched. :twisted:

For me it is just because of years of manufacturing jewelry with a lot of topaz, just burned it out of me. That doesn't include the reds , pinks and imperials.