Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Call for entries
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:08 am 
Platinum Member

Hi all,

We are looking for people to help update the information on the gemology project.
The gemology project is a joint effort to bundle as much of the dispersed gemological information as possible and to distribute that knowledge on the internet at no cost to the reader.

The entries can be small (like adding a specific fluorescence reaction) to large (writing a whole chapter) or uploading good images.
Also if you are a graphics wiz or are good at making amateur/professional videos, we would like to hear from you.

Don't be shy in posting your information. Just take a topic, click on submission and add your information/comments. We assure you that we will look at every entry seriously.
For people who have more than the occasional to add, you can apply for an account so you can edit direct.

Post subject: Re: Call for entries
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:42 am 
Doos wrote:
Hi all,

We are looking for people to help update the information on the gemology project.
The gemology project is a joint effort to bundle as much of the dispersed gemological information as possible and to distribute that knowledge on the internet at no cost to the reader.

The entries can be small (like adding a specific fluorescence reaction) to large (writing a whole chapter) or uploading good images.
Also if you are a graphics wiz or are good at making amateur/professional videos, we would like to hear from you.

Don't be shy in posting your information. Just take a topic, click on submission and add your information/comments. We assure you that we will look at every entry seriously.
For people who have more than the occasional to add, you can apply for an account so you can edit direct.

Hello Doos,

Although I personally don't have anything to contribute...I would like to share that I spoke with Dr. Robert Downs of the University of Arizona and he has been working on this http://rruff.info/- and here's an article about the conference where I met him - hope it's okay to post this link to info (if not, dear moderator, kindly remove) http://www.gia.edu/loupeonline/29962/27 ... detail.cfm

Originally part of a project to gather data during space explorations, this is an exciting endeavor and he says that ultimately, one of the goals would be to have an affordable, handheld device to use in the field! =D> Apparently, a lot of geoscientists and gemologists dream of such a device and he said it was somewhat inspired by the Star Trek "tricorder" (I sure hope a resident Trekker/Trekkie will correct me if I'm off on this).

I hope this info is useful to you and everyone here.

Best,

TST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:24 am 
Platinum Member

Hi TST,

Thank you for the links. The RRUFF project was posted on this forum before and I'm sure it is a very valuable resource. Most gemmologists unfortunatly don't have a raman spectroscope.
If an affordable version becomes available that will chance fast I'm sure. Please keep us up-to-date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:07 pm 
Established Member

Hi Doos,

I'm so sorry, I was not clear - what I meant to convey was, anyone/person can send a sample of rough, rock or mineral as small as 2-3 mm to attn: Dr. Downs at Univ of Arizona and they will scan it and post the results on RRUFF! :) I don't think you get your sample back though as I belive the tests are destructive to an extent. The only caveat would be to send clearly labled samples of at least the type of the specimen or the suspected origin, to narrow it down a bit.

This whole project is free to the public and you can look up the spectra and perhaps the RRUFF projects participates in a reciprocal fashion? I'm not very technical so kindly pardon me if I'm sending you on an obviously silly thing.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Best,

TST

P.S. I'm under the impression you live in Europe, may I ask whereabouts? I'm planning a trip to Germany in the fall and would like to meet people from the forum during my travels, if possible. Maybe I can bring you some gems for your traveling stones project (you do participate in that, don't you)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:44 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi TST,

I love people who do those kinds of things for the love of it.

I'm in The Netherlands, so let me know if you need a bed. Maybe we can do a combined visit to make it a bit more interesting. Just make sure your family will not freak when you are not returned to them as you were ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:02 pm 
Established Member

Hello Doos,

Wow, such hospitality! Thank you, but boarding me will not be necessary although I am already strange and my family may be very grateful if I am returned in a different state! :lol:

Okay, I have one more question and then I will explain. By any chance do you know the music by the Canadian rock band SAGA?

Best,

TST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:26 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi,

No, not really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:44 pm 
Established Member

Hi Doos,

The reason I asked is because I will be at their Munchen show in December. I have ties with one of the band members and I can ask my connection to bring my donation stones to you and you can probably attend one of their shows if you are able to attend. Free show and free stones :)

In any case, you are welcome to join me and my family at the Dec. show in Munchen and I can give them to you in person.

If you are interested, pm me so I can work out an arrangement with you.

Best,

TST

PS, here's the link to their schedule:
http://saga-germany.de/conversations.html

Post subject: Re: Call for entries
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:42 am 

Hey Doos

I am just wondering if gemologyproject would only cater to Gemology as a subject OR it would also include the usage of gemstones for healing, usage of gemstone pastes in Ayurveda, and their specific uses in Vedic/Hindu Astrology?

Thanks and Regards
Bharat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:47 am 
Platinum Member

Hi Bharat,

The emphasize is on raw gemmology, but every related topic is welcomed.
I just have no experience with that subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:00 am 

That's the reason I asked, cause I am heavily into it and have helped treat stomach disorders using Fire Opals, nervous disorders using Tourmaline especially the green ones (without chromium), and so on and so forth. It goes without saying that I check their horoscope before doing so and that gemstones aid in treatment and healing and one still needs doctor's advice and medicines.

Moreover, the ancient Indian system of medicine, called Ayurveda (Veda means knowledge, Ayur is life - meaning knowledge of life) the gemstones are ground to fine dust and added into herbal recipies.

I am sure you are already aware of how Chakras are balanced through gemstones and their imbalances can lead to both health and life problems.

If you think such references can be included then, I can edit my writings on these topics in yahoo groups and send them to you. I can also provide a lot of reference links on such topics.

Thanks and Regards
Bharat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:07 am 
Platinum Member

Hi Bharat,

Please do send me your contributions through the submission links on the project (on top and bottom of each page).

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

I am not expert enough to contribute much in the way of articles, but if you need any illustrations (drawn or painted) I would be happy to help.

I did the painting for my avatar, and I am working on a series of watercolor of mineral specimens..so I do like to paint rocks. I don't have any paintings related to gemology on my website but I can share that if you want to see some flowers and still life :)

Avon Breast Cancer Walk - Charlotte 2011 http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:07 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi Beth,

We are indeed in need of someone with good drawing skills.
If your avatar is not a photograph I'm very impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

here's a bigger version..it's a watercolor, not a photo lol it was my husband's Christmas gift a few years ago.

Avon Breast Cancer Walk - Charlotte 2011 http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/Beth