A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:54 pm 
Platinum Member

Richard W. Wise wrote:
Ana,
Theres a new term. Love new terms. Where did you hear that one? Spanish or Portuguese?

Spanish, and I've heard it from Columbian emerald sellers as an established attribute (i.e. not just one seller's language). Google brings it up about emeralds too.

It begs the question why such departure from perfectly clear texture would be prized instead of discounted. Perhaps it could be classified with the silk in sapphire or whatever else fault of clarity is accepted for the sake of showing color better in low light. Anyway, neither needs an explanation, I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:07 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Val,
Defect?, no I wouldn't call it that but as to whether it contributes in any material way to the gems beauty, based on what I have seen, I guestion that. I recall your quote from Melikan! So, in that respect the drop of oil is (at least) an identifying characteristic but is it something to be sought for its own sake by the connoisseur for whom beauty is the ultimate criterion?

I have been told that the finest color in Old Mine stones is a Creme de Minthe green. That, combined with the drop of oil might really be something. Will let you know when and if I see one. Understand that there is one in the hilt of a dagger in the Museum at Istanbul. Not so far from you!

Old Mine Emerald commands a very high premium due to the history and rarity of the gem. Is it based on a paradigm that is truly the finest and most beautiful of its kind, I have yet to determine but it seems logical.

You might also argue that the milky affect in Kashmir sapphire diminishes transparency and if you were to apply the crystal criterion uncritically it might be considered techically a defect. However, in this case the "glow" contributes materially to the beauty of the gem and is thus worthy of a premium in the eyes of a connoisseur.

Post subject: Re: Connoisseurship: Old Mine color (la vielle roche)
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:31 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

All,

Just came across this thread. In the newly revised emerald chapter in the second edition of Secrets Of The Gem Trade, with a little help from emerald expert Ron Ringlsrud, I finally answer the question "What are the characteristics of an old mine emerald."

Post subject: Re: Connoisseurship: Old Mine color (la vielle roche)
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:47 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

This is the largest of my old Columbian emeralds 2.5ct.

Attachments:
20170529_162308_crop_500x500.jpg
20170529_162308_crop_500x500.jpg [ 151.19 KiB | Viewed 1367 times ]