January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:56 am 

I think if you read the whole transcript, you will find that Bryant never said that his diamonds are not synthetic. He did say, correctly, that they are not simulants. In the part of the transcript quoted:

Quote:
wildflower: You said earlier that your diamonds are not synthetic, How do they differ
Bryant: Diamond are not simulants

I had understood that he was clarifying that he had said that his diamonds are not simulants as opposed to having said that they were not synthetic.

The other comments made about "cultured", "created" etc had more to do with their marketing strategy since the general public does have the tendancy to see "synthetic diamond" as meaning "fake", and "not really a diamond".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:43 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Greetings

I think you got everything right but I just want to clarify one very important part

A Synthetic Diamond is man-made, it is grown in a laboratory under controlled conditions and environment. It makes absolutely no difference if it is a Synthetic Diamond Seed Crystal or a Natural Diamond Seed Crystal, the result and final outcome will always be the same no matter what, “it is a Synthetic Diamond!!!!!!!” no matter what seed crystal is use.

Once the Synthetic Man-Made Diamond is grown and comes out of the HPHT High Pressure High Temperature machine it is then cut and polished and the original seed is cut away so the polished Synthetic Diamond is full and pure Synthetic Diamond.

Now some companies say they only use Natural Diamonds as their seed crystal in which to grow their so-called Cultured Diamonds, which is in fact a Synthetic Diamond PERIOD!!!!!

Most companies use a G.E. Synthetic diamond as their seed crystal for one very important reason. The G.E. Synthetic diamond is a perfect octahedron with almost no structural defects in the atomic lattice.

Now I can go into more detail and start talking about Type Ia, Type Ib, Type IIa, Type IIb and Type III diamonds.

OH!!!!!!! I strongly suggest that ALL gemologists young and old memorize the properties of each of the above mentioned diamond types as you will be tested later on this information. :wink: Seriously!!!!!!!

The very KEY to understanding these new Synthetic diamonds is knowing and understanding the different Diamond Types and their properties.

Now at first it sounds and looks and reads like it is very complicated but after a bit it starts to become more clear as time goes by.

Also every gemologist young and old needs to understand the CVD method of making synthetic diamonds as you will be tested at a later date on this very important information too. :wink:

Then if necessary I could then start talking about CVD Chemical Vapor Deposition type Synthetic diamonds.

This is a classic example of the new problems and the new complexities that Modern Gemologists are now going to have to deal with at the retail level.

Then to make matters worse GIA and AGS are each going to launch their own ideas of how to grade the cut of round brilliant diamonds Jan. 2006

Therefore the new modern gemologist is going to have learn and fully understand and comprehend each grading system used and then you all have to be able to explain it to the consumer at a level in which he or she can understand without confusing them. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA BOY GOOD LUCK on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if you think you are confused and dumbfounded now just wait it gets even better. Hahahahahahaha

I knew I should've gone to Truck Driving School!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon:

Bauer Gemological Products

From Simple Minds, comes Simple Answers & Even Simpler Solutions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:51 am 

In the chat that we had with Tom Chatham, he mentioned this about their HPHT diamonds:

Quote:
Alain: Tom, could you give some pointers how ordinary gemologists could identify them with reasonable certainty?
Tom: half the production is falling into Si &I.. the metalic inclusions are clearly not the same as natural..more
Tom: the cleaner stones have color zoning, reaction to short wave unlike natural...in most cases more
Tom: the hour glass effect can be seen with a loupe after a lot of experience... I just had someone point that out to me..

I would also guess that some enterprising soul will eventually come up with a relatively cheap method of separating the synthetic diamonds from the naturals, if the retail end of the business needs one badly enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:31 pm 
Platinum Member

Well a cheap way might be a 10x loupe as Chatham described (the hour glass effect). It is well illustrated in Synthetic Diamonds