January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 pm 
Valued Contributor

Cz's have been fooling people for years too...just not gemologists. I might buy a stone for a specimen one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:26 pm 
Platinum Member

What is it anyway? Brio-something is a commercial name alright. But simulants have their own identifying their chemistry.

I'd bet this is CZ. With Hype. Not sure anyone needs the hype ... There are other sims, and if it turns out to be another, it would be rather interesting - alternatives are quite unusual.

So, what is it? Does the maker bother to disclose what they are selling? I am aware that sellers of branded CZ go to amazing length to ban the word from their adds, but that just leaves a bad taste. Crazy! Who are they fooling anyway? :roll: Who needs it ! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:40 pm 
Valued Contributor

I think it's just another CZ as well but testing is always in order...lots of people who buy these "special" CZ's fall for the hype and really buy into how"different" and how much like a diamond it looks. Brainwashing!
But testing is in order. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Someone, buy a piece of the stuff and check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:36 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

chrissy wrote:
I will simply say, if you owned a Briolite, you would understand the fuss. I own two and continue to look for more. I receive compliments every time I wear them. Next to a gorgeous real diamond, they are equal. Next to most CZ, they are an obvious step above. Radio Frequency is simply the technique they use to cut the class so it mimics a real diamond. As much as I hate sharing this secret, I will say that you should never buy Briolite from Shop Network, or similar places. Before Briolite became so poplar I got my ring for $10 and that includes shipping in an auction at UBID. Two years later Shop Network is selling that ring for $400. EBAY sells the same ring in their auctions, and it usually goes for $50 give or take. That’s a $350 savings. You should take a chance and buy a piece, because it will look great and you’ll enjoy the compliments. If my exact ring were real it would be worth $4000(+). I have been fooling people for years!

I am glad that you enjoy your Briolite jewelry. All simulant jewelry should be enjoyed. That is what it is for and it has its place in the marketplace. This discussion was never really about the qualities of the material but rather the possibly misleading statements and promotion of the material.

Personally, I wear jewelry for myself and not to impress or fool others. That's just how I roll. Keepin' it real-Carrie :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:01 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hey Barbra, I would like to purchase one to test but I am not made of Briolite money! Haven't found one cheap enough yet to bother with it. Found one on Shop Network for a small amount but when I ordered it they said the low price was a computer error and canceled my order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:09 am 
Valued Contributor

That should tell you something right there...maybe they read gemologyonline??!! :lol:

Post subject: Briolite and Diamond Institute are the same CO
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:19 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

dbucfanGG wrote:
The DIA site is very new...almost appears to have been created just for this simulant...could even be the same company!!

Took me one minute to figure out that Briolite and the "Diamond Institute of America" are the same operation..

Ping the domain names and you'll see they are hosted on the same server 208.109.22.106.

Also, domain names were created on the same date at the same registrar.

IMHO: SCAM

Domain Name: DIAMONDINSTITUTEOFAMERICA.ORG 208.109.22.106
Created On: 07-Jan-2006 22:59:51 UTC
Last Updated On: 08-Jan-2007 01:24:19 UTC
Expiration Date:07-Jan-2008 22:59:51 UTC
Registrar: Abacus America Inc dba Names4Ever (R14-LROR)
Registrant Name: Sam Namiri
Registrant Organization:International Strategic Investment Group, Inc.
Registrant Street1:3635 S Ft Apache Rd Ste 200-319
Registrant City:Las Vegas, NV 89147 US, Phone:+1.7024258625
Tech Email: diamondinstituteofamerica@yahoo.com
Name Server: NS1.SNAUCTIONS.COM
Name Server: NS2.SNAUCTIONS.COM

Domain Name: BRIOLITE.COM 208.109.22.106
Registrar: ABACUS AMERICA, INC. DBA NAMES4EVER
Whois Server: whois.names4ever.com
Name Server: NS2.SNAUCTIONS.COM
Name Server: NS1.SNAUCTIONS.COM
Updated Date: 08-jan-2007
Creation Date: 07-jan-2006
Expiration Date: 07-jan-2008

Post subject: Diamond institute of America
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:06 am 

An ebay seller was offering a "chrome diopside" certified by the Diamond Institute of America -- aka Briolite. It was a 7x5 oval with listed 0.75 carat weight. It looked shiny like a CZ but it might be glass in view of the weight (which might be wrong). :o The initial price was 0.01 with $6.75 shipping and sold for $3.25. If I buy one I will test it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:06 am 
Platinum Member

chrissy wrote:
I will simply say, if you owned a Briolite, you would understand the fuss...Radio Frequency is simply the technique they use to cut the class so it mimics a real diamond. ... If my exact ring were real it would be worth $4000(+). I have been fooling people for years!

These are most likely machine-cut CZs produced by Signity, worth $2-$3 apiece. I have no idea what you mean by "cut the class" but here's the Wikipedia explanation of the Russian skull-melt process for making CZ using radio frequency induction:

"The Soviet-perfected skull crucible is still used today, with little variation. Water-filled copper pipes provide a cup-shaped scaffold in which the zirconia feed powder is packed, the whole contraption being wrapped with radio frequency induction coils running perpendicular to the copper pipes. A stabilizer is mixed with the feed powder, being typically either yttria or calcium oxide.

"The RF induction coils function in a manner similar to the primary winding in a transformer. The zirconia acts as the "secondary winding" of a transformer which in effect is "shorted" out and thus gets hot. This heating method requires the introduction of small pieces of zirconium metal. The metal is placed near the outside of the charge and is melted by the RF coils and heats the surrounding zirconia powder from the outside inwards.

"The cooling water-filled pipes embracing the outer surface maintain a thin "skin" (1-2 mm) of unmelted feed, creating a self-contained apparatus. After several hours the heat is reduced in a controlled and gradual manner, resulting in the formation of flawless columnar crystals. Prolonged annealing at 1400°C is then carried out to remove any strain. The annealed crystals, which are typically 5 cm long by 2.5 cm wide (although they may be grown much larger), are then cut into gemstones."

As my old Pappy used to say: "Everyone gets to go to Hell in their own fashion."

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:48 pm 
Established Member

I have bought this mysterious stone and according to density measurements it is CZ. The "certificate" is just a shabby sticker. I mailed DIA and asked what the stones were are made of and got this for an answer:

Thank you for your interest in DIA
/ DIA

:shock: Ok......Thank's for answering my question.

They also make identification reports and appraisals on numerous other stones as topaz, citrine, tanzanite, iolite sapphire etc. God knows what they are made of. A big retailer on ebay for these stones is isigems.

This was my first and last genuine and valuble briolite :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:01 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

LOL And a good lessen was learned by all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:52 pm 
Established Member

My friend came to me with a Briolite some time ago. It had a strong blue flourescense in UVSW and weaker in LW.
I can not remember that i have tested a CZ with blue flourescense but on the other hand my experience is not very long neither.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:33 pm 

I came across this forum while looking for info on Briolite. A couple years ago I purchased 3 briolite rings (this was back when you could pick one up for $0.99 plus shipping on ebay through shopnetwork). The stones are very pretty in 2 of the rings, the third looks like a piece of plastic.
I too looked into the DIA, and got exactly the same email response. Obviously a scam :roll:
What I can't figure out is how these rings are selling for hundreds of dollars now! It amazes me how easily people are duped.
The bottom line is this...while the rings may be pretty, they are worth virtually nothing (a few dollars at most). The DIA is a fraud, and your certificate of authenticity is a barely legibile printout of a picture and a phony appraisal on a piece of paper the size of a business card (I had to contact shopnetwork to obtain mine, as they did not come with the certificates as they stated...an oversight according to them). If you are thinking about buying...don't (unless you find one cheap).
For anyone who is interested in testing one...I would willingly send the ring that I don't like, just tell me where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:10 am 

Yup, just tried that on Ebay too. A seller is claiming to be selling briolite with a DIA certificate. DIA website checked with whois: Registrant Name:Sam Namiri
Registrant Organization:International Strategic Investment Group, Inc.
Registrant Street1:3635 S Ft Apache Rd Ste 200-319
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Las Vegas
Registrant State/Province:NV
Registrant Postal Code:89147
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.7024258625
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:diamondinstituteofamerica@yahoo.com
Admin ID:9VJ4L
Admin Name:Sam Namiri
Admin Organization:International Strategic Investment Group, Inc.

some bogus Las Vegas website. weight and look just like a good CZ.