January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Ok, you may be right, I don't know. Let me clarify. The GIA TEACHES the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:21 am 
Platinum Member

Quote:
The images (both on yey as on gemewiz) have much more educational than commercial value.

This is all quite ambiguous anyway isn't it?

Depending on which generation of GIA graduate you are, their methods and tools have changed. From paddles to gemsets and now to software.

All these educational tools to teach color theory, with the caveat, "Psst, these are useless outside the classroom."

What kind of deal is that? Since the Gemworld at large doesn't seem to agree with the GIA's color assessment tools and even the GIA will forsake one tool for the next great best color evaluation doohickey, it seems we're left with little option. Only the option of some other entities version that will be equally abashed for it's shortcomings.

To say a tool is relevant in the classroom, but, irrelevant in the real world is rather counter intuitive. Then either the teaching is wrong or the tools are wrong. You don't build a house with pliers, you build it with hammers.

So what's the right tool for building gem colors? Seems like everyone is looking for the hammer and keeps ending up with the pliers.
Maybe your eye is the hammer, and you can only get that from one place.

Aside; Beyond the diagnostic tools gemologists use, in reality the rest of them are actually money grading tools anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:02 pm 
Platinum Member

JB wrote:

To say a tool is relevant in the classroom, but, irrelevant in the real world is rather counter intuitive.

A tool? Yes...counter-intuitive.

A model? Not quite. To me, those pictures are nice didactic applications of the color grading model (or color theory applied to the particular case of small, transparent prisms 8) , as it were). Help understand a concept before taking it to the road. Like most didactic stuff is meant to do.

2c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:10 pm 
Platinum Member

Val,

From GemeWizards website, these quotes;

"These are tools to help describe and grade gems."

and

"The tools get us close and allow us to communicate."

Tools, not models.

The second quote was and still is my position on this.

My previous post was to demonstrate that I have no problem at looking at all sides of a discussion, even if it may favor opposing ideas. A fair trial is a fair trial, after all.

Beyond verbiage, I don't see a lot of other institutionally endorsed color grading tools/products being offered out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:52 pm 
Platinum Member

I stopped by the GemWizzard booth in Tucson last week, and met with the owner of the company. He has been following our little thread here with interest. Very nice guy. They have a new camera set up to photograph the stones, and then instantly analyize the picture and make a match. Very impressive set up. I was more interested in the photography set up not so much to import the image into Gemwizzard but for my images on the website.
Looking at the stones in person, and then the matches that the software made, it was pretty accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Did you also notice that a third of the GIA's booth at the Convention Center showcased GIA's method of Color Grading...with GemeWizard demonstrations on several computer moniters. That is GIA's system for color grading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 pm 
Established Member

The software looks really good.

Thank you so much. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:14 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I personally find the current color grading system taught by GIA to be very useful. The GemEWizard certainly has limitations mostly IMO based on the monitor that the guy at the other location is using. Even taking that into consideration however, if you take a person that is not trained on GIA's color grading system I find they match stones for me using their GemEWizard much more consistently than other dealers who are matching based on trade names and terms.

Taking my above statement one step further, even without the use of the GemEWizard or a Gem Set, if I'm on the phone with a dealer who has been trained on GIA's color grade system, and I ask for specific color using the GIA designations, I get great matches. Keep in mind I said "who has been trained on GIA's color grade system."

I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Post subject: Oops
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:45 am 
Site Admin

I tried to split this thread and lost the posts I was splitting to a new area.
Sorry.
I'll try to start it again...remember, it was about gemologists not having any money and doing the grunt work for appraisers and "what do they need a microscope for when a loupe will do?" etc.

Click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:59 pm 
Platinum Member

Precision Gem wrote:
I stopped by the GemWizzard booth in Tucson last week, .... They have a new camera set up to photograph the stones, and then instantly analyze the picture and make a match. .

This sounds like something Pantone might do. Do you know whether there is any connection between the companies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

There is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:21 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
I think that color calibration in monitors has evolved significantly over the past few years. It's not the issue it was even 24 months ago in my opinion.

Of course if one has an older monitor it will not be a perfect solution. But I have always preferred GemeWizard to the old plastic GIA color paddles.
The human eye has very poor color memory. Just as one needs master diamonds to help in assigning proper diamond color, it is useful to have a guide for color comparison.

WOW, Barbra! Thanks for your comments. You confirmed what I sensed. Between Alain's(van Acker, see The Gemology Project) system and the 'Wizard I feel much more comfortable with understanding and making color calls these days

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject: Master color sets made from millee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

Finding masters for different gems is a real problem, unless you look at the potential of mille. I have created mini wheels that fit below my microscope that I can use as a comparitor on either my left eye or right eye piece and the stone being examined. I can switch observation from one eye to the other, because as I am a male, my color perception differs with each eye! finally I use a colorimeter to get a third opinion.
I have two older GIA Colormaster [paper weights] to get additional color discriptions from to compare my findings. The original Colormaster test stones were made of synthetics as a quality control standard. As synthetics are cheap and colors appear to be constants, maybe a set of them could be the answer? Just a thought. Going to millee for miniature masters has been a great help. I make sets that match the price breaks of stones that we carry. I have many past editions of the Guide. Over 20 years of them. Quality does not change, but prices per carat does.
Just a thought from Winstone.......I'm back [recovered from stroke]

Post subject: I no longer drive a car
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

The stroke effected by left side. So what I have left is minimal....ha,ha, decided to give up driver's license, because I do not want to meet someone like me at night on a highway. My wife drives me everywhere, as retirees, she enjoys the trips provided I do not talk a lot, or make sudden gestures. Saves on gas, car wear and tear, as well as allows us to have dates. She is my trophy wife of 34 years. At 67, I do not want to train another gal to put up with me. Kept my humor, and see gemological problem with a bit of wit.
Seriously, quality does not change, so I have made data charts of quality grades that allow me to change top prices to get an estimate of a lower grade's math estimate. This is not the same as actual market prices, but provides a reference for value to use when going to market.
Some grade do not remain constant to the whole. Different grades change with market demand.
My point is, sometimes it is better to compare apples to apples than to use plastic, light combos, or color plates to describe gemstones. Find you master set in millee and use the small natural untreated, un-enhanced stone as your indicator. I use millee, because dealers seldom treat millee to get better prices as the cost of treatment does not improve the cost of the gemstone to make the treatments pay for themselves.
There are always exceptions to this general rule. I also buy millee for their inclusions, banding, and other natural characteristics for identification. Then keep albums of pictures of my little samples like others keep family records. ....winstone

Post subject: Re: Master color sets made from millee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

winstone wrote:
I'm back [recovered from stroke]

OMG Winstone, sorry for what happened!! :shock: ................
........and..............VERY GLAD you're here now joking about that!! :D :D :D
WELCOME BACK!!! 8)
ciao
alberto

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next