January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The grandaddy of all wavelength scale hand spectroscopes.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:48 pm 
Platinum Member

Here is a Schmidt und Haensch wavelength scale hand spectroscope. It is pushing a hundred years old. The company is still in business or someone is using the name but all I have ever seen from them new is Polarimeters for measuring sugar content in the beverage industry.

This is th grandaddy of all the wavelength spectroscopes. Notice it has the mirror for a comparison spectrum and a tube holder. This one also has a filter wheel for isolating parts of the spectrum. I saw a copy of that made by Zeiss east germany for sale from eastern Europe a while back. It was chrome plated.

I bet some of the parts would interchange with the one Brian has from India.
Its from Hibbing Minnesota the birthplace of Bob DillPickle.

Here is the Hartridge again, this time opening at $500 but she emailed me and said she would take $350. I had offered $200 and she turned it down. But she is getting warmer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:30 pm 
Gold Member

Oooooooo! :smt007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:24 pm 
Platinum Member

Hartridge SOLD for $300.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:49 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Brian wrote:
Oooooooo! :smt007

Brian,

Exactly what is your avatar? A picture of Uranus? Doos...please refrain. :D

J-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:06 am 
Platinum Member

So how does that mirror work with it and what is the "tube holder"?? I don't quite get how all this goes together.. filter wheel I understand..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:42 am 
Platinum Member

The mirror reflects a beam from an offset source of light of known spectrum or known absorbtion . It shines into a little hole normal to the long length of the tube and falls onto a prism which directs it onto the slit. The prism is only half the height of the slit so the other half is uncovered and receives light from the unknown. So one half comes from the front and one half from the side. Hence its called a comparison prism.

The tube holder is a small hole that can be seen in the end ring. A tube of unknown is slipped into the hole and the light has to go through the tube (ie sample cuvette) and be absorbed from before it can reach the slit. Later ones have holes that are larger in diameter. like 7/32" This one its pretty small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:45 am 
Gold Member

EDITED TO SAY... Gene beat me to it by minutes. You guys should both be in bed by now! :D

John: Imagine you have two objects emitting light side by side, and you want to directly compare the spectra of each. You point the spectroscope's long tube at one object and its light goes straight down the tube. You angle the mirror (like at 45 degrees) so as to reflect light from the other object into a side opening of the long tube... a prism inside then reflects that light back down the tube. There is a little slot with an adjustment pin on the side of the tube that allows one to see the spectrum of the first object across the top half of the visual plane, and the spectrum of the second object across the bottom half.

So if you were looking at a sodium lamp side-by-side with a flame from burning salt, at the top you'd see all black except the bright yellow sodium emission line, and at the bottom you'd see a rainbow with a dark absorption line aligned vertically with the bright line in the spectrum above.

I don't think there is a tube holder on this spectroscope. That spot at the tube's end looks more like the head of a screw. But the photography doesn't show enough detail to be sure.

Jason: All the pictures I googled on the web show Uranus as a solid blue disk, not a green circle.

I did have an avatar of a photo of myself for just a little while. But it was freaking me out, seeing myself stare back when I read something I wrote. I don't know how you, Ed Bristol, Bruce Jones, and others can stand it.

So I just replaced the portrait with a photo of one of the little objects that I make and study.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:17 am 
Gold Member

Oh sorry Jason, I forgot to tell you what is the object in the photo.

It is a small spherical bead made of transparent plastic. Green light propagates along a thin annular (ring-shaped) path around the surface of the bead.

When I say small, I mean microscopic. That plastic bead is about the size of a single bacterium. To put it another way, the wavelength of green light is equal to the thickness of the circular path followed by the light.

The ring of light in the bead exhibits the properties of laser light. So basically, it is a microscopic laser. The bright spots on the left and right side of the ring are emission points where "laser beams" are exiting the bead.

One pretty cool effect, having a green glow coming out of the windows of my darkened lab late at night definitely adds to the mad scientist reputation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:46 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

Brian wrote:
Jason: All the pictures I googled on the web show Uranus as a solid blue disk, not a green circle.

Ya, I know. I was just being goofy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:19 am 
Platinum Member

That is really cool brian! Micro laser! What's your stimulation method and orientation to the bead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:42 am 
Site Admin

G4Lab wrote:
Hartridge SOLD for $300.

Hi Gene, :D
did you buyed it?
ciao
alberto

PS: Brian, FWIW even if the new avatar is pretty nice i prefer your smiley beared face :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

Quote:
I did have an avatar of a photo of myself for just a little while. But it was freaking me out, seeing myself stare back when I read something I wrote. I don't know how you, Ed Bristol, Bruce Jones, and others can stand it.

Brian, in my case it's easy. My Avatar is a photo of me piloting a submarine at about 300 feet off the Bahamas. Only my wife and I were on board. After she took the photo I set the sub down on the bottom, we broke out the champagne and the rest I'll leave to your imagination - which probably won't do it justice. Anyway, a very happy memory. Plus the photo was taken 10 years ago and I'm amazed I had that much hair!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:12 pm 
Platinum Member

I wish I did but not this time. :(

I like my avatar because I can't see my fat face ten years ago and it reminds me of my Rascal every time I see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:35 pm 
Platinum Member

:smt105 Gemscientist is the first charter member of the "Mile Under" club!!! That is just great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:42 pm 
Platinum Member

Now THAT'S an exclusive club for sure! :smt043 :smt044