January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Blue topaz and tanning salons
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:49 am 
Site Admin

I just received a letter from a lady who wore her Carribean blue topaz into the tan salon and it turned dark green! :?
She wrote to ask if there was anything she could do to reverse this effect.
Has anyone heard of this? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

My guess would be that the UV light of the tanning booth initiated a reaction with the irradiated/annealed color of the topaz and caused a further color change. Don't know if it can be remedied :? .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:14 pm 
Looks like we've discovered a new treatment by serendipity!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:16 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

LOL . . . I guess my question to her would be why the heck she wore her jewelry into the tanning booth!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:44 pm 
Platinum Member

According to my notes Topaz is one of the gems that can have natural treatment (usually by the sun).

As UV light is part of the electromagnetic spectum I suspect that this plays a role in it. Although I never heared of it before.
Could you ask how long she exposed the stone to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:38 am 
Why not just try subjecting the stone to a fade test in the sun. It may just fade back to blue... Or become totally another thing altogether again :)

Isn't green topaz a novelty? Why not just leave it as such :) Perhaps in the mean time, I'll try out this greening of a small parcel of blue topaz in SW and LW UV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

The stone was exposed to the rays in the tanning booth for 20 minutes. The color produced was so dark a green, it almost appeared black. She wrote me today, that the topaz appears a bit lighter today. Indeed this may be a relatively short term effect. :?
It's very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:48 pm 
I'll put a note on that effect in my topaz pages. Interesting stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

Makes you wonder what it could do to your body?

It's interesting how some Gems can change over short periods, our Zircon straight from the ground is one such stone that can change with intense lighting.

I found this by accident - in winter I often dry our washed sapphire/corundum under a ordinary halogen spot light. I made the mistake of drying zircon in the same way. After about 1 hr under the light when removed the red zircon has a beautiful bright glow, this fades a bit on cooling to a richer red than before, several hrs later they are back to normal. I have left a small lot under by mistake for an extended period (we normally only just warm the product enough that it will dry, 1-2hrs) but this was left on all night. Once this had cooled and I had dug out all the dead moths and bugs I found that our nice Red Zircon was an ordinary brownish colour.

cheers for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi Andrew,

You've nearly chanced upon the secret of heat-treating red/orange (and other colors) of zircon. Don't give up yet! The process is non-toxic but it can be somewhat alarming as you'll learn if you follow the link.

My late friend/mentor and facet rough supplier, Mark Liccini, tells all here: http://www.bovagems.com/eclectic/HTML/1 ... IRCON.html

This is one of the funniest gem stories I've ever heard and I know the scene of the 'crime' very well: I spent 2+ months holed up in a 46th St. hotel some years ago while on a Ford Foundation Fellowship.

Enjoy!

R.O.M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:39 am 
Valued Contributor

ROM wrote:
Hi Andrew,

You've nearly chanced upon the secret of heat-treating red/orange (and other colors) of zircon. Don't give up yet! The process is non-toxic but it can be somewhat alarming as you'll learn if you follow the link.

My late friend/mentor and facet rough supplier, Mark Liccini, tells all here: http://www.bovagems.com/eclectic/HTML/1 ... IRCON.html

This is one of the funniest gem stories I've ever heard and I know the scene of the 'crime' very well: I spent 2+ months holed up in a 46th St. hotel some years ago while on a Ford Foundation Fellowship.

Enjoy!

R.O.M.

I remember reading that article when I had this disaster. Very funny story - I'm not sure I'll give it a go although at least we live out of town and are not likely to have the fire brigade call in to investigate.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:28 am 
Site Admin

I just got word this morning, that the blue topaz has returned to its original color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:41 am 
Platinum Member

As a curiosity I put a medium blue topaz in my UV box under long wave for 10 minutes (didn't want to risk burning out the bulb for this experiment). No changes were noted.

The end of April marks my annual visits to the tanning beds. I'll take some topaz as well as some other gems and see what half an hour will do if anything.

Geez, the sacrifices I make in the name of science. 8) <that's me in the tanning bed

Post subject: Re: Blue topaz and tanning salons
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 pm 

So, as a topaz fan this topic has sat in the back of my mind for quite a while. Finally thanks to Nathan Renfro's research I think we have an explanation: https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/fall- ... -radiation
Her 'topaz' was lilely a misidentified blue zircon.
Nathan has a video of this effect in action up on his Instagram which is how I heard about it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjfkniFFp4S ... uuxjiloyyv

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbara O. Ellis wrote:
LOL . . . I guess my question to her would be why the heck she wore her jewelry into the tanning booth!!

modesty?