January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hogg mine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:21 pm 
Platinum Member

I got back from the Hogg mine today. It is in LaGrange, Georgia USA I came back with some great star rose quartz and beryl specimens. Some of the rose quartz is the best i have seen. It compares to the Madagascar stuff I think. I am going to cab some this week. i also saw many good pieces of aqua that were found. Very gemmy and cuttable. I will be going back this weekend to try my luck at the aqua again. Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:07 pm 
Gold Member

I hope to see you there on the 28th. I will have the black Prelude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

I wanted to go earlier this year but got rained out, so I'll try to make it out there this weekend. I'll have the white Volvo station wagon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:52 pm 
Platinum Member

I don't know if you guys can make it but I will be going on Friday the 27. Rodney will be digging into the pegmatite core and turning over some new material on Friday. Also try to make the crabtree Emerald dig on July 4-6 it will be a machine dig and some good material will be found. Amguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:49 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

hi jason! was it hot as hades out there when you went to hogg mine?? :wink: is there any shade out there???

my hubby and i live in lagrange-out near hoofer's (rv park) :lol: we had planned on going several times, but gas prices have about made it impossible. (hubby drives to newnan to work and is having to drive my vw bug since his dodge ram 1500 "monster truck" guzzles gas!)

i am hoping we will get out there soon-i keep reading rodney's website for updates. it will probably be the weekend of the 4th~if we are able to go out there.

did you find any nice schorl tourmaline specimens???

also, i posted on the forum about the new mineral show in cartersville in august-here's a link to the info.

http://www.mzexpos.com/southeast.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:45 am 
Platinum Member

I got some great tourmaline specimens. My best one has a tourmaline crystal coming out the top of a piece of quartz and running down the side to pop out the bottom. The crystal is perfect and is about 3 inches long. Did you see the 100 pound beryl crystal Rodney pulled out 2 Friday's ago? Very nice. Hey Gingerkid you can't make it this Friday can you? Thanks for the link to the Cartersville show. I know quite a few peoiple who will be there including Rodney. He will have Hiddenite crystals, JXR amethyst, and other top notch stuff for sale. This is supossed to be the best show ever in the Southeast. I have heard it is going to be comparable to Tucson with the big international dealers and such and the quality of things they will have. If you are in the gemstone and mineral business or just love them than this is the show to go to especially if you live in the southeast. Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:25 pm 

hi jason! no, it will have to be after this weekend (june 27) before we can go to hogg mine and dig in the georgia clay :wink: our anniversary is the 27th of june-married for 11 years 8) :P . we were wanting to go before it got so darn hot, but it didn't work out that way, unfortunately.

this will be our first shot at digging for crystals, i was hoping to find some nice specimens for display, not necessarily for cutting into cabochons or gemstones, and for some reason i would love to find a nice tourmaline specimen to bring home. (trust me-my husband would rather be fishing at west point lake than digging in the dirt for rocks :lol: ) i checked out rodney's site today and was very glad to read that he will be out there even after the 4th of july.

when we do go, we probably won't be able to stay out all day. being red-headed/strawberry blonde and prior heatcase (for a summer job after graduating, i worked at local nursery on black plastic, i got 2nd degree sunburn and passed out the next day while being told how to separate white azaleas from pink azaleas and then when i was at marine corps bootcamp-they spraypainted 2 bold red stripes on my yellow pt shirt to make sure i didn't "fall out"---if you did fall out-2 more weeks at paradise island--paris island, and believe it or not, i survived paradise island as a jarhead :D ), i will fry like a lobster in the sun, not to mention looking like one giant freckle. (will probably hide under a rock to get in the shade, lol) gonna have to drink lots of water and gatorade before going out there.

so, do any of ya'll think you'll be heading out there after the 4th of july? if you decide to go out there-please give me a holler!!

and please let me know when ya'll will all be heading to the se gem & mineral show. we will probably just drive to cartersville for the day and then drive home that night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:23 pm 
Platinum Member

So your husband is a fisherman, Gingerkid. Well I have met a lot of ex-fishermen who now have changed hobbies. has he ever dug before? Wait until he finds that first aquamarine crystal or deep purple amethyst then it is all over from there. I liken it to gold fever! I will be at the Crabtree emerald mine during the 4th but afterwards you let me know when you are going to dig and I will try to meet you there. I beat the heat by using a large umbrella like the kind used for patio tables. Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:47 pm 
Platinum Member

I went to the Hogg Mine last Friday. I watched the owner pulling out huge crystals of beryl feet long. The new dump piles were full of beryl crystals. Lots of perfect hex with cab grade aqua and some pieces with facet grade too. It was the mother load for me. I have a whole desk full of beryl. gsellis made it down there on Sat. and found some great rose quartz. I wish i could have met up with him. Maybe next time. If you are in the area I would suggest making a stop while the getting is good. The new dump piles will only be full of aqua for so long before they are picked over. Jason :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:54 am 

hi jason amethystguy!
have any pics of what you found at the hogg mine? i would love to see them! well, hubby is not sure if we are going saturday or not. i have been persistent in "begging" to go and dig rocks at hogg mine. even told him we wouldn't stay all day. guess i will have to wait and see.

Last edited by gingerkid on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:44 am 
Gold Member

I went last Sat. If you want some black tourmoline, walk the road to the tourmoline and keep walking. Look down. If it has rained since last Sat, you will find some.

I came out with more than a pound of clear material. I would guess I have about 1000cts. I may have a piece that will cut to about 22mm as an SRB. Now if I just get a faceting machine...

On beryl, I have a hunk of 'aquamarine'. Cab, maybe. I may use it for Intarsia when I get there. Nice blue veining, but opaque as a piece of wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:21 pm 
Gold Member

I created a page of my finds today.

http://www.georgeandlorrie.com/george/hogg.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:19 pm 
Platinum Member

Cool page george You got some good rose there. I am not computer savy at all but I would love to be able to post pics of some of the stuff I found too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:29 pm 
Gold Member

E-mail with the pics and any thing you want to say. I will add it to that page. The King sent me a note that he was going to probably link it, so that will have your's too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:08 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks George I will get my digital camera from my brother in-law this weekend and e-mail you some pics to post for me. I soaked my beryl in iron-out which got rid of all the staining and really makes the color show. Thanks again George. Anybody else reading this if you have a chance to make it to the Hogg soon I would do it. The getting is good.
Jason