January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chakras, healing, Azeztulite, aliens, third eyes, magik, etc
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 pm 

Hello all!

I usually spend all of my time over in the lapidary corner, and I'm branching out into the deep, dark secrets of the other boards on this altogether lovely forum. So hiya!

Anywho. I'm really quite new to the gemstone thing, and I've been reading over The Book of Stones in addition to all of my more rigorous and scientific and craftsworthy sorts of reading, and towards the end the book they start talking about Azeztulite and how Azez him/herself came to them and gifted them with this knowledge about how they'd find this New And Exciting Crystal that would make people burst into tears and so on. (Come to find out, it's quartz. Owell.)

I come from a fairly, uhm... atypical sort of background when it comes to "spirituality", I suppose. And so I read this and my first thought was "neat!" followed shortly thereafter by "geez, they're delusional" followed by "think of all the money they're raking in" followed by "completely bonkers" followed by "hmm."

Now don't get me wrong, I'm in no way capable of or willing to try to make any sort of judgment call about these folks and their supposed communications with alien life forms. Far from it!

But I am curious about the efficacy of crystal healing, generally. Or, for that matter, their use in various magical/religious/spiritual pursuits.

Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:54 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

The Curious Lore of Precious Stones by George Frederick Kunz;
Gems in Myth, Legend and Lore

I have this book as a first edition but the Dover paperback is readily and cheaply available.
A perspective from a renowned scientific mineralogist and gemmologist.

Tony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:21 am 
Platinum Member

I really love the quote from one of my more esoteric friends, who said ".. Just because someone doesn't have a body anymore, doesn't mean that they know anymore than you do! .."

The people who play around with "psychotronic devices" have an interesting take on it, and there are some interesting results.

There is a huge body of lore around such things, all of it anecdotal since we don't have a "transducer" to measure or evaluate scientifically/empirically such claims.

Whenever that happens to get made, it'll be a lot like x-rays in my opinion. Just because we'd never experienced them before Roentgen, doesn't mean they didn't exist before his discovery!

Crystals and gems have always been used in ritual magic and shamanism, as amplifiers and storage devices for "energy".

With lost knowledge, we wander around like cargo cultists, building palm frond "airplanes" hoping to attract the "Cargo" again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:10 am 
Gold Member

Many years ago, while running a jewelry studio at a local college a young woman came into the studio and showed me a small handful of stones that she said her Guru had manifested out of the ether. When I looked at them and pointed out that they were obviously poorly cut (in India I presumed), her reply was "well, god is not perfect you know".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:20 am 
Platinum Member

that is really rich! Slight of Hand still mesmerizes the gullible!

I wonder if the Guru told her that to make his "imperfections" ok.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Admin

This guru gets around.
Several years ago a woman came in to the shop where I was working with a gem manifested from the essence of her aura. The conjurer claimed extraterrestial sourcing for the manifestation.
It was a bright orange, beautifully fashioned, lead rich faceted glass.

She was commissioning us to make a special pendant.

I asked her whether she wanted to know the actual identity of her stone if I was able to determine it.
She answered, "I know what it is. It is my aura."

That's a hard one to add to your insurance policy.

May I recommend: The Book of Sacred Stones: Fact and Fallacy in the Crystal World
You can pick up a used copy now for a couple of bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:49 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Certainly the average human is attracted to gems because of their beauty but those who disregard this feature in favour of the real or supposed properties have a very different attitude. I am a gem enthusiast for the same reasons most of us are but I would never disparage a 'healy feely' seeking a crystal with the correct gender and aura any more than I would a watch maker looking for a ruby bearing or an explosive technician looking for a tourmaline.

I have had many requests for a 6 carat "whatever' cut deep enough to touch the finger when worn. The problem with belief is that it doesn't require logic or common sense to work. I will never deny the magical properties of gems as I have proof positive of this magic. Open a parcel of fine opals in front of a group of ladies and they will squeak and wriggle. Works every time...magic.

Tony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:21 pm 
Platinum Member

Not to be morose, but I wonder how many people have died "Chakra" in hand? Maybe they find their energy on the otherside.

I'm all for the squeaking and wriggling though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:31 pm 
Gold Member

Just for the record, I did not disparage the young lady (at that time) in question. I just said "that's interesting" and asked when she was returning to India. She was really quite stunning btw. Irrelevant I know but an integral part of the memory.
I have many healy feely friends and some of them do make me feel better with their ministrations, but I think it might work just as well without the rocks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:36 am 
Valued Contributor

hmm. these kind of spiritual enquiries are now becoming just all too frequent. and i think that , as professional gemmologists etc, we must face the challenges of this new age and learn as much about the metaphysical as the metamorphic.

now, i keep an open mind about all things. i have seen, heard and felt things that i just can't explain - especially when, late at night, i have been examining a lot of that most beautiful of all gems - "bombay sapphire".

i remember when i used to go to parties. anyway, women used to ask what one did. plastic surgeon to the stars, diplomat, enobled layabout , that sort of thing...the usual lies. occasionally in a fit of honesty or just plain laziness, i'd just blurt out "gemmologist" in a geeky sort of way. they'd look blank at first, then take about 4 steps backwards and go "oh, a germ-ologist - um, excuse me, but i've really got to be running along now". so, i learned to just say jeweller or gem expert or some such simplification. then, of course, the immediate response was for anyone within earshot to produce all manner of assorted jewellery, wristwatches, pearl handled revolvers and god only knows what else and thrust them under one's nose and rabbit on about their provenance, her entire family history since 1066 blah blah blah and expect a detailed, entertaining and elaborate appraisal of the stuff. you all know how it is. HOWEVER, IN THE LAST FEW YEARS THIS HAS NOTICEABLY CHANGED. now, mention that you are a gem expert or gemmologist and you are far more likely to be asked about : is bloodstone best for insomnia? which gem would facilitate my connection with my previous lives? will wearing an amethyst amulet during pregnancy bring about a more intuitive boy child? which gems are best for love spells and how, exactly, do i use them? i kid you not. much more entertaining than looking at mostly cruddy jewellery and maintaining the thin veneer of interest and admiration. these new enquires are great- you can just make it up as you go along, and people are so appreciative. the conversations are much more fun!

in fact, my very first post here was in connection with new age gemmology. a pretty young witch wanted some merlinite. and here i learned what it was. i was impressed and grateful. this has now led to a growing group of witches, warlocks, goths and other assorted new age travellers who seek my advice from time to time. just this week i had a request for a chrome dioptase crystal amulet. this was to draw back a lover who had wandered - to belgium, i think. anyway, xtal obtained and apprentice jeweller hard at work producing a lovely amulet. and i really do hope it does the job. lovers should not wander.

also, we find that around 50% of lay individuals(not those from jewellery or allied trades or occupations) enquiring about formal gemmology training are seriously disappointed that metaphysical and "healing" aspects are not part of our courses. so, to the lay person gemmology is clearly seen to be something closely connected with these aspects.

i am considering retraining as a wizard or maybe a sorcerer. i will seek the advice of some of my newer customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have always been interested in the superstitions of the ancients; including all religons. The problem I have with the new age believers is that most of their data is not taken from historical sources, or footnoted, or even researched. Many of the leading books on the subject are full of information that has been "channeled" by the author and then repeated by the next want-to-be believer. So make up whatever you like, call it "channeled" information and publish a book. People will be studying and quoting you in no time.
I realize it is fun. Especially for people with little power over their own lives, who need magic to make themselves more important, and to feel less vulnerable.
There is some truth to the placebo effect, although to certify a drug as safe and effective it must perform better than a placebo. What I find most interesting is the reverse effect; Nucebo (can never remember the spelling) where people feel pain or sickness when administered a placebo (or a curse). That's where VooDoo comes in. If the mind can create a desease it can cure the same illness. Just as long as this is a passtime and doesn't replace real medication of real action to improve ones life there is no real harm done. "For entertainment Purposes Only" is what the print on the MoJo lables says, and amulets advertised on TV late at night.
In the 1970's a back-rub was an mild introductory form of seduction, common at parties and gatherings. Now it is called a healing art, but is there any real difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

My issue is with the new age types who attempt to explain metaphysics with scientific logic that is misquoted, misunderstood and misrepresented.
I have nothing against witches, warlocks and magicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:55 pm 
Gold Member

Pseudo-science in all it's forms makes me look for the nearest exit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

I must also say that I have nothing against witches, warlocks, magicians, preists, parsons, monks, ministers, imams, elders, head-hunters (though I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley) etc, etc. Some are just a bit more trendy than others; given time, I expect they will all be held in equal regard...or be forgotten. Not many applicants for the Heaven's Gate religion these days. Anyway, I appologize, I am straying off topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:56 pm 

I received a large and wonderful book called "The Encyclopdia of Crystals" by Judy Hall as a gift from a daughter in law. It profiles many (all?) the gemstones used by healers and gives specifics about the chakra, zodiac, etc. Many of the names are new to me. Fascinating reading, great shots and information.

Is there a fave site the forum members here could suggest if wanted to buy some of these stones?