January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

If my math serves me correctly, that's around $6.65 per carat.
That seems a fair price to pay for coated "mystic" style topaz.
A 16ct, commercial quality, heated pink topaz should sell for about $100-$300 per carat Keystone, according to the Guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:32 pm 
Gold Member

If it is comparable to Mystic Fire topaz, I got two 7 carat 14x10mm ovals with 14kt earring castings for $65, in 2004, from JTV, but I have none approaching that size to help you compare. :?

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:53 pm 
Platinum Member

Morning Dove wrote:
Hi ROM -- n the end, I decided to keep the 16+ carat coated stone. I had paid $105 plus shipping.

So ... how bad of a deal was that? This was about 3 years ago. Expensive lesson? I'll know better next time!

I went to their site and they claim to be gem experts. I can tell you this: no one who knows anything about gems could possibly make such a "mistake." A 16+ carat natural pink topaz would have a very high retail value. Non-heated fine and extra-fine qualities in that size easily command $1,500 - 3,000 or more per CARAT.

On the other hand you paid something in the range of $7 per carat plus shipping cost. Your comments indicate you enjoy the stone. My advice is don't worry it, and learn from the experience.

Bear in mind this supplier is in Bangkok and isn't bound by U. S. law or the FTC guidelines. It's strictly buyer beware!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:11 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Thanks All -- Yes, it is beautiful and perhaps I'll find someone who wants a large "show off" ring! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:13 am 
Site Admin

Is this the stone with the selenium spectrum modo? I remember the original thread if it is....and you getting banned from gemorbit for being too clever to be one of their customers :P

Be well :)

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:11 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Hi, Frank! Gosh, don't remember the spectrum ... and I don't have my books with me to double check 8-[ .

I sure do like your way of looking at being banned by GemOrbit, though =D> !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

Well, ROM, I did a little research and find the particular section I was remembering from "Code of Federal Regulations, title 16, section 23, 1996" was changed in 2001 to be just as you say -- it went from specific discussion of coating to a vague commentary on "treated" stones with no definition of treatment. Even the FTC consumer guidelines http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/pro ... ewelry.htm do not mention coating except for pearls (I guess "coating" does get dumped into the diffusion category), although it does give examples of treatments in general. #-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Well, I've had specimens that were completely coated top to bottom . As fas as value they are not worth as much as blue topaz IMO.

For me they have no value at all. Beyond that I would not value them anymore than than white topaz. fifty cents a carat. maybe a dollar.

I'm trying to remember if the refractive index is thrown off, so you can check that. The stuff I've seen going back five years cannot be put in an ultrasonic.

Take a nail file to the culit and it comes off. The stones are often perfectly calibrated. A dead give away.

Irradiated sherry and red topaz has been on the scene for over 30 years by the way.

To test such an irradiated Topaz is easy. Mask half the stone with opaque material.

Leave in the sunlight for one day. Unmask the stone and look for the zoning. Simple.

lembeckgems@msn.com