January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: epidote
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:03 pm 

new to board, was asked to post recent find in this forum - some epidote crystals in matrix that I found this spring in my area. To make a short story long, had been researching late 1800's texts concerning corundum deposits in this area. Had checked out this one at what used to be called "soapstone hill" in town - never found the elusive corundum, but accidentally uncovered a large vein of epidote embedded in quartz running through a green chlorite schist.

anyways, just learned today that one of these (I think # 3) was accepted into a local museum! I know it is not the highly quality stuff that can be found elsewhere, but from what I know unique to this area.

Now, if I can get someone to ID what I suspect is a chuck of aquamarine I found in the same place, I am in business! anyway - hope you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:36 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

:D nice collection of epidote you found, nose2ground!! epidote is nice to see as faceted stones, too.

please keep us posted and let us know when the specimen has a new home at the tellus center. :wink:

and you think you may have some aqua, too? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 pm 

will definitely let you know.... as for the aqua:

always hard to tell by a pic, but it is in feldspar matrix and runs throughout it. Looking for someone (hint amethystguy) who can give a positive ID.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:49 pm 
Platinum Member

That is sweet..the tellus is a pretty decent museum..marty Zinn is on the board of directors..they are very particular about there mins...ya know I was supossed to go check that place out(the epidote location) with James about..what 8 months ago..and it snowed that day..still neeed to make it out there bud..they are supposed to have the piece displayed at the musuem too. That is awesome..ya know someone on here could check that aqua for you..lots of gemmo's with all kinds of doodads and doohickeys for checking gems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:54 pm 

i agree with amguy, hopefully someone can help you id the material you think is aqua with their "doodads and doohickeys" for id'ing gems, lol!! nice specimen, whatever it may be!!

:idea: i wish marty zinn would have the gem, min, and fossil show in someplace other than the holiday inn motel rooms of sellers (and the motel lobby)--does the science center have enough room for the show? i know the show is still "in the making," but it would be nice to not have to go into motel rooms to see the goods.

Last edited by gingerkid on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:54 pm 

offer is still open, and no risk of snow! speculation is that if one follows the vein properly, maybe there are larger gem quality pieces???

definitely would like to get in touch with an expert who could ID the aqua - any recommendations??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:58 pm 

why not let the people at the science center check it out for u, since the epidote may be finding a home there? or amguy could tell u, i'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:50 am 
Platinum Member

Rodney even looked at the aqua and you know how much aqua has passed through his hand..heck he mines aquamarine and he coudn't tell..needs a gemmo's tool...i have issues with the show being in cartersville..what's in cartersville???nothing except the museum..just a ho-bunk town in N. GA..no wonder dealers didn't do that well..of course the economy doesn't help but when you have 5 million people in the ATL you should exploit that and hold it in a centralized location not some backwoods town..the only reason it's there is because of the museum(and marty is on board of directors...shhh..)...James, I will have to make it back up that way to check soapstone hill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:13 am 

:lol: amguy!!

guess you are right that the "aquamarine" specimen needs to be checked out by someone with some expertise in minerals, like ms. barbra!! :wink: got me wondering if rodney couldn't tell if it were aqua or not. hmm.

amguy, would much rather have the gem show in the woods than in atlanta. they could have it here in lagrange, lol, or better yet cairo!! i just don't like atlanta, would've been fine with me if they would have let atlanta remain in ashes after the civil war, lol! hope i don't get in trouble and have to sit in a corner the remainder of the day for the last statement....

needed to add that i've been a georgia resident since day 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am 
Gemology Online Übergod

Something about that blue stone doesnt strike me as aqua. I'm guessing amazonite. Hope i'm wrong and it's beryl though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 am 
Platinum Member

hey J the little gemmy part on the left bottom..not the whole stone..just that little light blue green gemmy area on the left at the bottom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:15 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I was in Atlanta once. After I discovered that virtually every road and street in the city was named Peach Tree, and that anyone not familiar with it will become hopelessly lost, I decided it was not for me. Pretty though. :lol:

That epidote is really cool :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:44 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

I love atlanta as long as someone else is driving. I despise driving downtown. The streets are narrow and everyone drives like an idiot and there are more one way streets than you can count.

J-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:07 am 

:lol: i hear ya, ubergod!! on the our way home from the gem show in cartersville, we unfortunately missed the bypass and then found ourselves in downtown atlanta traffic. road construction+hour in traffic jam+idiot atlanta drivers+sweltering heat with a/c on=the need for tranquilizers (and a bar of soap for the curse words said) i believe i counted 9 lanes one-way traffic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 am 
Platinum Member

i read in the newspaper that they will be widening I-75 at I-285 into 16 lanes on both sides..thats 32 lanes wide..hey G-Kid next time you come through hotlanta and get lost just give me a call and i will hold your hand until we get through it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: