Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "paraiba looking" at Pala
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:20 am 
Gold Member

I'm speechless (well, obviously NOT).

Pala is advertising under "new in stock" Hauyn faceted stones as "paraiba looking" and "best of paraiba like."

I'm sorry, but is this gems tv or something (DISCLAIMER: I have never seen gems tv).

Hauyn can't stand on it's own? PLUEEEZE. (okay, it should be PULEEEZE)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Hmmm ... I have a bottle of liquid in my cupboard that is "Paraiba-looking" :-k Wonder what I could get for it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:42 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

Worth its weight in gold princess, bargain :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:00 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

... that's silly. Isn't Hauyne both rarer and more expensive by size than Paraiba?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:02 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Yup... Pala's price per carat on the 1.12 carat Hauyne is within 10% of their price per carat on the 3.50 "Windex" tourmaline from the 1st page of "New in Stock". :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:12 pm 
Gold Member

You guys are looking at this with the eyes of someone in the field. For the uneducated consumer* paraiba is a hot buzz word. You get folks not wanting to look at better stones because they only know the buzz words. And, worse, when you try to sell them something better, they are suspicious. Just the way we work.

* - and the 'educate' argument does not work, there are always more of them when you are done, and like fools, fool proof just breeds more clever fools.

And I have lots of experience in this in Information Technology. In fact, the standard joke is if we could get the mailroom to stop delivering InfoWeek and PC World, our job would be easier (we survived 'paradigm', you can survive 'paraiba'. :D ) :smt043
And note... in IT, it is the fool in IT that thinks we should make all our users into experts, we hired them to be experts in their field, not ours. It is hard to get them to recognize expertize and appreciate it. And with all the bad players in the business (jewelry), how can you inform and establish the necessary trust to 'educate' the consumer. It sucks, but we have to figure out how to live with it. Sometimes, if you can't beat them, join them. I guess that is where Pala is at. And you know their reputation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:36 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

gsellis, that argument would make sense except that Pala sells only to the trade. It's one thing to talk about uneducated consumers, but uneducated jewelers with resale licenses? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:28 pm 
Gold Member

gem-n00b wrote:
gsellis, that argument would make sense except that Pala sells only to the trade. It's one thing to talk about uneducated consumers, but uneducated jewelers with resale licenses? :shock:

You think every jeweler really knows as much as you do (I can assure you on this one... you are actively here and they are just cruising along). They are stuck on the keywords. It falls to my InfoWeek point. Just like I have seen Green Amethyst for sale in a couple of jewelry stores. They have read it and not kept up. They just sell the stuff and farm custom work out. I am sure if we had some of the salesmen for major wholesalers on the board, they could tell stores. And I cannot think of an industry that that does not happen in. They Sell stuff, they don't need to know what it is... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:46 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

I'm with you in spirit, but I don't think Pala is selling to Zales and Kay Jewelers. Their stuff is high-end enough and almost never calibrated sizes. I can't help but believe that this stuff is going to people making custom pieces. I'd hope that most of the people doing that sort of work have at least half a clue. Then again, you'll never go broke betting on stupidity or ignorance. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:52 pm 
Platinum Member

Pala Intl. may be selling to whom they are, but the site is public goods - and a good bundle at that.

I have seen the descriptions of Hauyne a couple of weeks back and recall a little grin: after all, the color is what matters, is it not... [even on straw, as long as it is the right kind of straw 8) ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:52 pm 
Gold Member

valeria102 wrote:
I have seen the descriptions of Hauyne a couple of weeks back and recall a little grin: after all, the color is what matters, is it not... [even on straw, as long as it is the right kind of straw 8) ]

Now THAT is ridiculous. $400 for a dyed raffia knot because it says Chanel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

The part that says Chanel is on the back as well. ;) Although it looks like it might gold... at least there's SOME intrinsic value there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:21 am 
Platinum Member

gem-n00b wrote:
at least there's SOME intrinsic value there.

None whatsoever. Just like money...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 am 
Site Admin

I think it's safe to point out that we're ALL out of touch with the LUXURY market. Paris Hilton, Kate Moss and Victoria Beckman are not members of our forum.

I work in downtown San Francisco within a stone's throw of Hermes, Prada, Chanel, Louis Vuitton etc. A Kelly style wallet at Hermes starts at $2250 and a matching handbag's base price is $7000. Although these items are not desirable to everyone, they do have value and they deserve some respect. Folks buy things that they feel are beautiful and make them feel special and proud.
Same reason most people buy jewelry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:07 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Although these items are not desirable to everyone, they do have value and they deserve some respect. Folks buy things that they feel are beautiful and make them feel special and proud.
Same reason most people buy jewelry.

Well, a good deal of the "status symbol" style purchases are only made because they hope OTHER people will accord the items respect. Plenty of people will buy stuff not because it's beautiful, but because OTHER PEOPLE have decided that it's "the thing to have". This is also true of jewelry, of course. I will certainly not dispute someone's right to spend $7,000 of their money on a purse, but I do not feel obligated at all to respect either them or the product on account of it.