All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

:lol:

Post subject: Thanks for the vision.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:16 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

At least I know what is being advertised in the get up, but I am not so sure what "Paraiba" color is. It certainly is not just cyan. Taking the lower road certainly takes the luster off one of the elitist websites.

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:54 am 

:D hi, bruce!!

some of the shopping channels eliminate using "color/colored" in the name of the stone. for example, they will call an apatite similarly colored to the neon blue-green brazilian paraiba tourmaline, "paraiba apatite," and for the customers which don't know any better, they make think it's a paraiba instead of paraiba-colored apatite. :wink: have also seen madeira citrine called mandarin citrine. :shock:

Post subject: The name game
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:26 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Gingerkid,

I think that you're carrying a gold card when it comes to "Name that Stone", a musical chairs game where the names move around to suit the needs of the seller. I am only a junior member because I don't watch TV and only cut gems from tourmaline rough. The mistakes, liberties and foibles of naming cuprian Elbaite has been enough to keep me in tourmaline land safe from Mandarin Citrine. If I eat too much I will loose my apatite, but then I might be a brilliant round! Whatever sells.

Bruce

Post subject: Re: The name game
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:50 pm 

brucetourm wrote:
... The mistakes, liberties and foibles of naming cuprian Elbaite has been enough to keep me in tourmaline land safe from Mandarin Citrine. If I eat too much I will loose my apatite, but then I might be a brilliant round! Whatever sells.
Bruce

:lol: :smt046 that was hilarious, bruce!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:44 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

there´s no regulation on net so, people can talk what they want to theyr stones, compared with traditional market it´s huge advantage, unfair even, so what people wants is sell, if needed tell white lies , they do it.
it´s like politics, people how less they know, beter.
that´s waht a lot of people think, scam as much as they can and bank acount is growing.
i agree jewls is like fashion. it´s a mather of social darwinism, if you buy something like caraceni suit, it will cost you 10k, it cost more,but you have the look of a person who worth a milion. that´s why image is so important, image sells, a lot. i don´t like this view but that´s the world and i can´t do nothing to change it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 am 
I was writing an essay-thing on 'What does Mr/Mrs Average know about gems?'.

I was trying to use my own pre-FGA experience, and what I have learned from talking to random non-gem people in the past, to ascertain what people know about and what they have heard of.

Of course there are many levels between 'man on the street' and 'Active GO gemmologist' (including the 'GemsTV watchers').

One important point made by someone in this thread (not sure who) was about the naming expensive forms of the traditional semi-precious' stones:

- Tell Joe Bloggs that Goshenite is a rare and valuable Beryl (White Emerald etc.), and he would be right to not believe you.

HOWEVER

- Tell Joe Bloggs that a Bixbite is a rare and valuable Beryl, and you would have been telling the truth

- Tell Joe Bloggs that Yellow Tourmalines are a special expensive colour, and he'd be right not to believe you.

HOWEVER

- Tell Bloggs that Cyan Blue Tourmalines are a special expensive colour, and you would be telling the truth

- Tell Joe Bloggs that deep Green Peridot is top-end price at large sizes, and he'd be right not to believe you.

HOWEVER

- Tell Joe Bloggs that Green Garnets are top-end price at large sizes and you would have been telling the truth.

And this is the problem. Crap like 'White Emeralds', 'New Jade' and 'Imperial Quartz' make genuine terms for reletively high-priced goods such as 'Imperial Topaz', 'Alexandrite Chrysoberyl' and 'Paraiba Tourmaline' seem like the same kind of deception.

Post subject: omission and half truths
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:13 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

To sell well you need to know your targets. The sum of what you put in and what you leave out may not even be untrue, but it can misleads the customer. Greed can complete the deal for you.

Bruce