It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:16 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
it's an ART FORM.

Ain't it though?

The big picture never looks like the thumbnail. Or at least you never see the details in the thumbnail. Damn, the Devil is always in the details.

As for Dali, try his commissioned works on Dante's Inferno. They're as good or as bad than anything I could have imagined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:17 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
...It can be interesting in the same sense as walking by a garbage pail on a hot day.

Quote:
I turn my nose up at that kind of art.

I'm such a snob.

Rejecting the majesty of the Neo-cubist interpretation of the life of the starving Artist!
Gasp.
The analogous harmony of the grapefruit rind, next to the red erotic plumpness of the wilted tomato, and anguished texture of the background of lusty- toned coffee grounds. And Yes, Movement. Little white wiggly things, contrasting and winking like stars in the sky against the coffee background.

It's in the eye of the beholder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 pm 
Platinum Member

Gearloose wrote:

It's in the eye of the beholder...

At least this famous statement implies nature only ever made ink-blots...
Otherwise, I cannot think it ever truly held water as long as said eye tend to come with a talking mouth underneath attached to the same beholder.

Somehow, 'thought that Hirst's bit of glitter was supposed to make precisely this point and it would best be understood here of all places...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:06 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
Somehow, 'thought that Hirst's bit of glitter was supposed to make precisely this point and it would best be understood here of all places...

I admire thechallenge, craftsmanship and the patience, and of course the investment. I do not understand the message.
What is being expressed? Adornment of natural objects is well-established. Scrimshaw is one example, I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 am 
Platinum Member

Gearloose wrote:
Quote:

I do not understand the message.

To me - the deed puts a face on a certain social mechanic of value ...

I am not particularly fond of this view of any art when commonly applied ex post, but this is something else. Would have thought that the particular interpretation is an economists's delusion, if there wasn't for a certain coincidence setting the mood of that moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:05 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

here's a picture of the blue diamond, an art piece made by jeff koons, which is mentioned in the valeria's post.
i believe it's a bit large to place on the coffee table as a decoration piece :wink:
(if you would like to read about the piece and what it represents, check out artknowledgenews.com-which i don't represent :wink:)

i also agree with valeria on the meaning of hirst's skull of bling. hirst named the piece, "for the love of God," since he often heard this phrase addressed to him from his mother.

here are 2 possible messages one might discover from the piece:

from wikipedia, one critic said, "...since it is designed by Hirst it is looked upon in a different way and realize that in the most brutal, direct way possible, "for the love of God" questions something about the morality of art and money."

from Tom Morton of Frieze Magazine, Issue 109, September 2007
"...Significantly, a large, pear-shaped diamond sits atop the skull’s forehead – a third eye, crown chakra or some other point of contact with the divine. If traditional memento mori are about accepting the universal fact of death, Hirst’s skull is about leaving a beautiful corpse that, with its ineffable durability, will witness the end of time. When God’s last breath blows across the ashes of the world, this terrible object will remain. This is terminal art. Art for when all our futures run out."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:49 am 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:19 am 
Platinum Member

gingerkid wrote:

from Tom Morton of Frieze Magazine, Issue 109, September 2007
"... This is terminal art. Art for when all our futures run out."

Perhaps for Mr. Morton 'futures' was just a handy metaphor. Would have rather had Krugman turn art critic for once! :lol: (possibly accross the same virtual table with John Taylor? :idea: ) Anyway, it is very tempting to think that half a century of monetary kicks made reminding death into a hell of a luxury. That artful diamond dump would make a neat badge for an era...

I tried to count when and where such objects were /are possible - I mean, it isn't small feat to create the circumstances for a pile of diamonds to be amassed on a single object significant enough to make sense over their value. Perhaps this wasn't even such a tremendous pile, relatively. But, this was a democratic, open market exercise - the 'design' addressed a whole lot more 'clients' then comparable jewelry. [unlike this tasteless stunt, if I may add]

Oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:35 pm 
Platinum Member

Art?

Bob Ross summarized it pretty well, "There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. " :wink: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:02 am 
Gold Member

Andy Warhol and the Velvet Underground did a two-day performance show at the art school I went to in 1966/67 - also was the opening of one his his traveling shows made of "found objects."

When he came to the cafeteria for dinner the second night - the students threw food at him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

Here is another quote from Dr Gubelin

"Within the gemstone forms color and light together create optical
realities which no artist has yet grasped and sublimated to human artistry"

Just had a thought :idea: would not Damien Hirst and Tracy Emin make a
lovely couple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

davegibson wrote:
Just had a thought :idea: would not Damien Hirst and Tracy Emin make a lovely couple
:shock: :shock: i had no idea who "tracy emin" is, but, when i searched for information on her, i have to say some of her art is as "shocking" as daminen hirst's artwork to me. she's quite a character. they would probably get along well, imagine if they created a piece together, now that would be something to see and i imagine out-of-this-world.

dr. gubelin said alot of interesting things about gemstones and their inner beauty or inclusions. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:01 am 
Valued Contributor

amazing