January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ruby Surface diffusion confusion
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:58 am 
Valued Contributor

Here I am studying up for my colored stone exam on the road to my GIA GG, and a question comes to me. Is ruby surface diffusion to deep to be harmed when buffing jewelry with stones in place? Just curious…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:12 am 
Established Member

Hello Danielh,
i come across that when the Ruby with glass filll, after setting when wash by acid for the final process.
the glass may come out and can see a vary clear crack mark and can feel it by finger.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:26 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I would expect that the diffusion treatment is deep enough to be safe from a buffing for a couple reasons.

First, it was my understanding that diffusion treated sapphires are polished after the treatment -- if the diffusion zone is deep enough to handle a polishing process, the buffing likely won't harm the colored zone. (If you're removing *that* much stone with your buffing, you really should just buy a faceting machine. :wink: )

Second, corundum is hard stuff. Polishing is done with diamond. I would expect that the buffing compound used to polish metals will not affect the corundum, treated or not. (Hopefully someone more experienced will correct me here if I'm wrong.)

peter

<><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:23 am 
Site Admin

It is my understanding tht the early diffusion treatments were very surficial and repolishing could often remove them.
The science has been improved and now the color is often changed throughout the courundum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:23 am 
Platinum Member

Surface diffusion typically has a penetration from 0.01mm to 0.50mm. The process involves heating the corundum and the diffusion elements to near melting point of corundum. Sometimes this sinters the surface of the corundum and it has to be re polished.

Heavy handed polishing could remove the shallow layer of diffused color.
I would think buffing would not have that effect as pt pointed out.

Of course we are talking about typical situations with the typical treatment results.

P.S. We were typing at the same time Barbra. Yes newer treatments can have a more thorough and complete penetration. So it is correct to make the distinction between "Surface" diffusion and other methods. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

I would imagine the treatment should, or would be deep enough into the surface. But now reading here, I am wondering what the friction heat from buffing would do. Now it would have to be an over zealous buffer, but I have experienced that personally in the past.
Many moons ago, in the past, I had a few occasions while buffing jewelry I stayed on the buffer so much that the piece became so hot that a joint fixed with easy solder came apart. Since those timesIve stopped the leather wearing finger protection when buffing. Now when if I stay on the buffer to long, I find out in time. !Ouch! :oops: So , I also wonder if something like friction heat could damage treatment?

Im just thinking of all kinds of things today aint I??
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

Ok, found it later in my studies for the colored stones test. Surface diffusion can be buffed out if it didn’t penetrate the surface very deep. But, a facet re-polish of the stone can remove it, and refaceting surely will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:28 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hi Regarding ruby there is no surface diffusion treatment as chromium is very fiddicult to diffuse in corundum. The treatment called surface diffusion for ruby is in fact a synthetic overgrowth process.
If I remember well there have been an article written possibly in gems and Gemology if I remember well by Christopher Smith about this subject.

To my understanding there is not problem to set such stones on jewelry.

All the best,

www.fieldgemology.org
www.conservationgemology.org

The views expressed here are V. Pardieu’s opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of GIA Laboratory Bangkok (http://www.giathai.net)where he is an employee since Dec 2008.