JOGS International Gem Show April 7-18 Tucson Expo Center
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The wonders on ebay never cease!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 am 
Platinum Member

here is a Mark Seven Gemolite for sale with a Fiberlite light source (actually made by Dolan-Jenner Industries, in Massachusetts) A very nice outfit which includes the scope, the Fiberlite, AND a set of six fiberoptic small diameter wands which GIA took out of their catalog a couple of years ago and which Dolan Jenner has taken off their website too but I don't know whether they are actually discontinued. Dolan-Jenner sold them for $250 and GIA for $450 if memory is serving. (or was it DJ 450 and GIA 750??)There are also other useful ephemera with this outfit.
The "bad"news is an asking price of $3000. However the seller refers you to her feedback where you can see that SHE paid $3426 or thereabouts. And you can always make an offer.

THIS seller has four Gaertner Peck Table spectrometers available opening at 99.95. They probably cost two or three thousand dollars and I think you can still buy them from Gaertner Scientific in Chicago. Made in the good old USA. They read angles to one minute of arc on a vernier dividing up half degree ticks. They have a port to illuminate the reticle in a Gaussian ocular.

HERE
is a WILD (Heerbrugg Switzerland) M8 stereo opening at $795. Eight to one zoom. One of the finest stereos ever made. Look at the focusing eyetubes. THAT my friends is quality. And appearance while wunnerful wunnerful doesnt really mean poop unless what you see THROUGH the oculars is of equal worth. I just sold a very elaborate Zeiss outfit for a LOT of money. If it was better than my WILD scope I would have kept it. It had a Zeiss SV11 research grade stereo(ELEVEN to one Zoom!!!!). I would prefer one of these even though this one might be twenty or thirty years old. WILD scopes have a brightness and snap and contrast that make them the best. (and that Zeiss warrent no slouch!!) This scope has a nice tranmitted light base but it needs a lamphouse or fiberoptic plugged into it. I predict this unit will be sniped at the last second by a dealer whose ebay handle is "elexium"
As it sits worth about $1500.

HERE is a very unusual item. A Leitz Elvar. If you want a Leica zoom stereoscope THIS is the only one EVER made. Yes I know you are all going to email me pictures of your Stereozooms three through seven and even the WILD scope above still made in Switzerland (I think and hope) is sold with a Leica medallion on it. But for me to be a Leitz scope it needs to be made in Wetzlar Germany. Not Rochester New York home of Bausch and Lomb Stereozooms. Not Heerbrugg Switzerland home of Wild. Not Buffalo home of Americal Optical or anywhere else. Wetzlar Germany where Ernst Leitz and his sons and grandsons built the best cameras and scopes ever made.. And this one is it. The mighty Elvar. Leitz quality. Leitz price. In this case rarity too.
I have only seen ONE in person. In the late seventies. Legendary quality
As good as Wild. Somebody buy it for me. Somebody buy it and just let me play with it. The seller has been on ebay since day one. Toronto Surplus. a good fella.

Another Canadian seller is offering bottles of Canada Balsam which has gotten a bit difficult to get lately. If you are rebuilding an old train of Amici prisms for a hand spectroscope, recementing an achromatic triplet or other optic or making a historically accurate doublet stone this is what you need. Same seller has various quantity bottles.

Here is another Leica scope. This one is also "really" a Wild from Switzerland. Notice the resemblance to the M8. This is an M10 Apo designed to compete with the Zeiss SV11 (no longer made replaced by the fearfully expensive Discovery V12 with motorized zoom and focus. Is that really necessary Zeiss?? They don't sell their best optics any other way now. Does a knob HAVE to be replaced by a computer and a stepper motor??) This one started out as a real auction. It will probably go over $2000 or more. The seller is brand new but they accept paypal so there will be buyer protection. If it doesnt go up I may shoot in a bid myself. I once had a copy of that stand , brand new in a crate. The stand and the rather stoutly built crate were 225 pounds. I gave it away at a price that is against my religion but you needed a pallet lifter or forklift to move it. The two horizontal support rods slide on ball bushings. Very smooth. The stand alone sells for $2000 from Diagnostic Instruments in Sterling Heights Michigan. ( www.diaginc.com ) Outfit has a photoadapter. Notice that the ocular focusing moved from the binoc head in the m8 above to the eyepieces themselves in this newer model. There is more plastic on the new one. But it has the newest calculated APO lens with the newest glasses and coatings. A real hotrod.

Here are 19 years and 84 issues of Gems and Gemology sitting at $105 with two bids.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=0&item=330185770181&rd=1]Another
wonderful item[/url] a Beck ULTRAVIOLET hand spectroscope. There's somethin you REALLY don't see every day. A quartz dispersing prism or grating I can't remember which disperses the light and throws it onto a fluorescent screen that has a scale, which you view through the eyepiece. These are almost as rare as the Hartridge Reversion Spectroscope. I have never seen one of these in person. Christmas and Hanukah are coming. I will PM you my address.

Here
Are a pointer and gemclip for GIA scopes sitting at $10.50

Here
are FOUR count em medical spotlights with ceiling mounts sitting at $128. These take a 250 or 300 watt MR16 quartz halogen reflector lamp. They have a cooling fan. Its like having a slide projector with no slide shining onto your work space. The bright light makes your irises close and your eyes give better depth of field. Since there are four split em up with some other pals. Great, "I've got one. You don't!" value. I am a very firm believer in very bright light on workbenches. Especially when you get above 45 years old. Surplus medical and dental lights are GREAT for jewelers and gemologists.

Last edited by G4Lab on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:33 am 
Gold Member

The Gaertner Peck is the bee's knees of table spectrometers. I want one.

From all my digging around, I don't think Gaertner Scientific makes them any more.

The little hole on the side of the eyepiece tube is for shining a light bulb into... it makes cross-hairs (mounted on an internal glass plate) glow... part of what is sometimes called a Gaussian eyepiece used for alignment.

What does it mean that 4 are available? Will he just sell them to the four highest bidders, or will he sell the first and then re-list? Or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:49 am 
Platinum Member

Where you usually see Bid History you see Bidders list. This means its a "Dutch Auction"(with apologies to Doos and Frank. That's what they are called. I suspect an auction type that originated during the tulip insanity in the eighteenth century or whenever it was)There are four units available for sale in this auction. So you specify how much you are willing to pay and how many you want to buy at that price. Then some kind of complex ebay algorithm is executed and the prices are set if there are runners up. So if you bid 99.95 and say you want all four, and I say I want one but I will pay $110 I will get one and you will get three at your price. Of course if you are high bidder and you want them all that does it. But the rules on these Dutch auctions which I don't entirely understand can yield some unexpected results. I think if you look on ebays FAQs there are some examples.

I would guess these will bring in the neighbor hood of $200. Less than they might have since therer are four of them. A nice cased AO spectrometer recently brought $130 and a made in England Griffin and George brought $50 near me in Alton Illinois.

Thank you for the correction on the Gaussian ocular. I thought it was a little weird that there would be a comparison prism on a new unit like this. Those went out in the fifties or so.

Last edited by G4Lab on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:50 am 
Gemology Online √úbergod

G4, I just wanted to thank you for all the time you spend posting these things to the forum. I may not always bid on them, but your expertise is invaluable as a learning experience. Thanks!