August 24:—SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS: Retail show; Southwest Gem and Mineral Society of San Antonio; Sat. 10-5
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: gemstone photography
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:41 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello experts,

I wish to take photographs of cut sapphires. Just straight photos so that I can post them on my website, offering them for sale. They must be a true representation. How can I go about this without spending a large amount of money? Many of them are parti-colours which may be a bit of a challenge. I mined them in Central Queensland, Australia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi,
you could start surfing this forum searching for posts like ths one.. c'mon don't be lazy :wink:
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 pm 

Hello Alberto,

I understand that you are a Site Adminstrator and I thank you for your very, very informative reply. Yes I could have looked in 'For Beginners Only' but it just didn't sound right. Yes I could have looked in 'Colored Stones', I could have looked in 'CSI: Colored Stone Identification', I could have looked at 'Positive ID of Stones with Overlapping Characteristics', I could have looked at 'Diamonds', I could have looked at 'Field Trips for Gem Hunters' or Alberto, I could have looked at many other links also but for some stupid reason I looked at something to do with photos, called 'Photos and Inclusions'. I have seen postings here previously where these people discussed their work but Alberto guess what, they aren't there anymore.
I am sorry that I offended you with my posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

You might have more luck with the "search" feature. Just browsing through the forums based on their names isn't really the best way to find something specific. Aside from that, the link Alberto offered is FROM the forum you claimed you looked through. Clearly you didn't look very thoroughly. Rather than get offended, how about you take the good-natured jibe as it was intended and follow his advice? As for the threads not being there anymore... they're still here. Are you sure you know how to use the forum correctly?

Aside from the thread that Alberto already pointed out to you, there's also this one:

http://gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6028&highlight=gemstone+photography

Both of those pop up in a short list when you search for "gemstone photography" on this forum.

Hope those help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

No posts have been removed Woodbine.

Try:
Alberto's suggestion:
http://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/php ... hotography

Should be some useful info on these threads. I found them by using the search function using the keyword: photography.

:D
Gem-n00b and I posted at the same time! So this is slightly redundant info....but we're not going to delete anything. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:19 am 

I thank you Barbra and gem-n00b for your informative replies. I am not the most computer savvy user and find it very frustrating searching for things that seem to go on forever. As you can see, I asked a very reasonable question and received an answer from an expert that I found to be dimissive. I now understand that there was a link in the answer which I will persue. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:24 am 
Platinum Member

Hey, woodbine..alberto was just giving you a good natured jab like noob said..notice the emoticon at the end of his post thats winking :wink: ..if that wasn't there then..maybe..

do post some photos when you get it all setup so we can see how you have done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:53 am 
Site Admin

hey Woodbine,

sorry if i seemed too blunt, but, when i was talking about "this forum" i meant "stone and inclusion" forum (or section if you prefer).
about my "lazy" comment: well you're new to the forum but the typical situation is when a newbie join us for the 1st time, he asks directly for specific question without drop an eye to old posts which almost always already contains the answers. There are a some "hot" questions which are dropped on almost daily basis, gem photography advice is for sure one of them. So, in order to not repeat more times the same advices (and generate clone posts) we usually suggest new members to search for old posts.
Sorry if i wasn't clear enough and WELCOME to the forum :D
ciao
alberto

PS: usually blue colored text are clickable links :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:45 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

Heya Woodbine, you think you're not computa savvy? Try it with 2 heads arguing. :mrgreen:

Some of the guys here have certainly got the photog down pat. As amguy said have a read through the above suggestions try a couple and post a few. Then the guys can help further from what they see.

Oh and another thing, we Aussies have our own lingo, I'm slowly educating Alberto :smt058 but we have some doozies too. I just learnt don't say PUTA or poor Pedro will need the crash cart again. :lol:

Most of the fire on the wall has been put out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 pm 

Thank you to everyone, including Alberto, for your great information. I hope to put it to good use. Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Woodbine wrote:
Thank you to everyone, including Alberto,

Thank you for being included!! :lol:
ciao
alberto